PDA

View Full Version : Thread status markers

Sairen
10-20-2006, 03:12 PM
I would like to see a way to mark a thread as "closed" when the original problem has been answered to the questioner's satisfaction. That would make it easy to tell 1) who needs help for those who are trying to provide it 2) which threads have answers for those looking for that. It probably wouldn't be 100% accurate since it would rely on users to monitor their own threads (though the user need not be the only one who could mark a question closed).

Also, I have seen some posts that were posted as a point of discussion or simply as a "here's how I fixed it" instead of as a problem. It would be nice to mark those apart as well.

Perhaps instead of Post Icons (or with them) this would be a Status marker:
Question (or Problem)
Answered
Idea
and so on...

Stefan Krueger
11-03-2006, 09:42 AM
The thread rating tool could be used for this. A thread rated as excellent would usually include a solution.

Sairen
02-09-2007, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure that accomplishes everything that this could.

For one, I can't figure out how the rating works. Sometimes I'll try to rate a thread (acting on your suggestion above), and it says something about my vote being counted, but the rating doesn't appear. Perhaps it's waiting for a total tally...perhaps only administrators' rating votes count... I don't know. Either way, this kind of feedback isn't convenient enough for it to already be in use.

Also, a post rated with one star could be the result of a poor question or an unanswered question. These require different types of responses. Similarly, a highly ranked post may have a solution... or it may be that some good ideas were discussed or it has useful links or that it has somehow otherwise proved useful.

People use these forums for different reasons; some to seek help, some to provide it when they can. Labels would make this much quicker.

I don't want to beat a dead horse; it's just that as I'm on here more, I keep thinking about this and how useful it could be.

Have a great day!

Kelter
09-07-2010, 11:58 AM
i agree 100%. There's a simple reason why MSDN and various other support forums use this type of feature: it is very useful!

vBulletin MUST have this feature...it's there job to host forums! why not just have it turned on? i also like the MSDN idea of ranking people not just on the number of posts, but also on how helpful they are...(get so many points if your answer was parked as useful, get more points if you make a response that is marked as an answer.) admins can mark a thread as answered if there appears to be an answer as the last post, and there has been no activity on the post in 2 weeks.

it seems like this forum hasn't really added any functionality in the last 4 years at least. i can't even limit a search to a phrase. sometimes searching word-by-word is cumbersome when the words in the phrase you're looking for are common (but the phrase itself is not...)

in other words, get with the times! use the tools that are available.

pv7721
09-21-2010, 05:19 AM
I don't agree with closing threads, simply because I've often seen people with similar issues or with valuable insight adding information to a thread a long time after the original thread has been opened. Thus the most relevant information is to be found in a single thread as opposed in searching 10 or 20 different threads that have been opened and closed.

Kelter
09-21-2010, 08:15 AM
I agree that threads shouldn't be "closed" but there should be some marker indicating that the original question has been answered. this alone would be useful. A user could obviously go back and post additional information in a thread.

in fact, msdn does a good job of incentivizing usefulness. instead of getting ranked by number of posts (people who ask alot of questions have their rank grow as fast as someone who answers alot and asks none) people get points by replying to a question, more points each time someone marks that reply as useful, and more points if the original poster marks the post as the answer.

this encourages positive participation. i have seen on the IS forums a person going wild with posting uninformed misleading answers to lots of questions in a single day. this is a rudimentary user rating system run amok!

anyways, sometimes i'm afraid to post additional details about my problems, because making my thread look active (adding to the number of replies in a period of time) would make people looking for people to help think that someone is already helping on that thread, as when looking for people to help, the easiest indicator as to whether a person is getting help or not is the number of replies on the thread.

being able to tell, at a glance, what questions are answered or not is extremely helpful to the both the searcher, the helper, and the poster.

pv7721
09-28-2010, 04:06 AM
Well, I agree with some of your points: indeed, there is no distinction, with this software board, between people that ask lotsa questions and people that answer them. However, on the forums I'm lurking on (essentially IA) there used to be one lone user who did that (and moreover he couldn't explain himself and didn't read answers but never came back). Also if you look at the version running, it's a little bit old (I would say 4 years?) So maybe newer versions have this feature? I don't know...

Also I won't be too worried about a thread going too hot. Again as I'm pretty much the single one answering threads on IA forums, I prefer to always look on threads that have been answered, and see if 1) the answer is comprehensive and if not I can add my 2c 2) the answer is misleading, and in this case I give the correct answer (but I seldom saw such a case).

Kelter
09-28-2010, 09:06 AM
Vlad:

So you're an advocate of the "lone ranger" solution to this problem? You, Christopher Painter, and Robert RobertDickau can't save the (InstallShield) world single-handedly! :-P

LOL!

pv7721
09-28-2010, 10:05 AM
Oh Kelter, I'm sorry you understood this from my 2 posts: I would love to come in the morning and see all the IA questions answered. Back in the days when IA was made by ZeroG on the forums they had there was another user that for a while helped a lot... but unfortunately he changed jobs, and no longer uses IA... There are some very competent users (Kevin Purcell comes to mind, I apologize to those that I forgot, but this because they drop seldom into these forums, Kevin gives great insight on Custom Code for instance. And Robert Dickau, probably he does this as part of his job? I don't know...

benjamin1greer
09-30-2010, 05:10 AM
color combination is very conventional of this forum more colors must be added

Christopher Painter
01-12-2011, 02:41 PM
Personally I like the way StackOverflow handles it. Someone asks a question and people up/down vote multiple questions and the OP can choose to "accept" the answer.

The OP can accept an answer that works for his situation but often someone will post an answer that takes a different approach or maybe even solves problems the OP doesn't even know tht he has and you can often see the community give that answer more up-votes then the one that was accepted.

pv7721
01-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Definitely cool... but it would require dedicated Flexera Software employees to monitor these forums and actively participating into them (besides the admins and occasional support or PM dropping by).