PDA

View Full Version : Win2K SP4 prerequisite

bkeppler
10-11-2006, 12:50 PM
I am using IS 12 Express. My installer uses the SQL Server 2005 Express prerequisite. When installing on a Win2K system, the SQL Server 2005 Express installer pops up a message that Service Pack 4 is required. I want to create a Service Pack 4 prerequisite that installs SP4 only if the OS is Win2K with a Service Pack LESS than 4. I'm guessing that documentation on the legal tags and attributes of the .prq files would answer my question, but I can't find any. :( HELP! How do I set an OS condition in the .prq that says "install only if CSD version is less than 4"? :confused:

bkeppler
10-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Does anybody from Macrovision actually pay attention to questions here?

winzin
10-27-2006, 05:13 PM
I am not an InstallShield guru...

but can you give a condition like below to detect if w2k sp4 is installed

(VersionNT=500 AND WindowsBuild=2195 AND ServicePackLevel>=4)

if ServicePackLevel is < 4, install the w2k sp4.

Hope this helps.

Christopher Painter
10-27-2006, 08:01 PM
What you describe is MSI conditions, not the syntax used by the Setup Prerequistes extension to the bootstrapper.

I don't use IS12 Express ( Profressional here ) .... does it even have a Prereq editor or is your problem that it doesn't and your trying to do everything by hand in notepad?

bkeppler
10-30-2006, 02:02 PM
What you describe is MSI conditions, not the syntax used by the Setup Prerequistes extension to the bootstrapper.

I don't use IS12 Express ( Profressional here ) .... does it even have a Prereq editor or is your problem that it doesn't and your trying to do everything by hand in notepad?

As it turns out, IS12 Express doesn't have a prereq editor. That has not been a big deal until this particular issue came up. A prereq (.prq) file is xml and it is, for the most part, pretty straight forward (I have constructed prerequisites for SQL Server 2005 Express and JRE 1.5.0_09 by hand among others). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any documentation on the complete definition of the file. :mad:

What I am trying to accomplish is to install SP4 only if the OS is Win2K and SP4 is not installed. If the user is already on XP, Server 2003, etc., I obviously want to skip SP4 installation. If you have any wisdom on how to accomplish this without forking over an extra $1000 for IS12 Pro (I wouldn't use 99.9% of the additional functionality) I would greatly appreciate it.

bkeppler
10-30-2006, 02:07 PM
I am not an InstallShield guru...

but can you give a condition like below to detect if w2k sp4 is installed

(VersionNT=500 AND WindowsBuild=2195 AND ServicePackLevel>=4)

if ServicePackLevel is < 4, install the w2k sp4.

Hope this helps.

The issue I am having is with the actual mechanics of communicating the constraint to Installshield's prerequisite installer. Thanks anyway, though.

Christopher Painter
10-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Send me your PRQ file and I'll author it with the additional constraint so that you can diff it and further reveal the schema.