PDA

View Full Version : Problem with activesync 4.1

BennyT
09-06-2006, 04:20 AM
gday
ive got a few packages that are Windows Mobile installations and recently weve gone from using ActiveSync 3.8 to 4.1. now the packages dont install anything onto the devices, which used to work using 3.8.
ive tried recreating the windows mobile component but it still doesnt work. however it DOES work when i use activesync 3.8 (with the re-written component).
is there a known issue with 4.1? if not, whats causing the install to fail when using 4.1?

thanks
BennyT

davidh
09-07-2006, 11:36 AM
I haven't had any problems with activesync 4.1. Just to check, are you building the packages with InstallShield? Do you get any specific error messages from activesync?

BennyT
09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
yes im using InstallShield 11 Pro edition
as for specifc errors, what happens is the activesync part doesnt even popup. the install just goes through like a normal windows install. it does put the files onto the local computer where its supposed to. (ie the cab files and such)

davidh
09-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Hmmm...that does sound strange. I checked and I'm using the latest version of ActiveSync...4.2.

Can you try with 4.2?
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync42.mspx

Also, can you verify that the InstallCEApps action is running? You can check the MSI log for that.

BennyT
09-11-2006, 11:14 PM
i dont get any logs or im looking the wrong spot. where would the logs be?
i do get an ini file in the same dir as the cab files which states:
[CEAppManager]
Version=1.0
Component=ISCOMPONENT

and yes im using activesync 4.2 (sorry about that)

davidh
09-11-2006, 11:20 PM
You have to manually log the install using a command line. It is somewhat complicated, so I recommend using the following article to log the install:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?pcode=ALL&articleid=Q104807

BennyT
09-11-2006, 11:50 PM
sorry about all this. i just tried it myself for the first time instead of relying on what the test people said and i got it to work first time.
sorry to waste your time and thanks for the info on how to log the install

davidh
09-12-2006, 09:54 AM
No problem, we would definitely want to know as soon as possible if there really was a problem.