PDA

View Full Version : .NET 1.1 install silently fails



martin.serrano
08-21-2006, 06:29 PM
I have download from the web set. dotnetfx is successfully downloaded and I get the "Setup Launcher" dialog where you get to decide whether to "Run" or "Don't Run" dotnetfx. When I click "Run" a couple of dialogs quickly flash (I can't read them) and I proceed into my application install without the installation of dotnet. The same dotnetfx.exe when downloaded outside of my installation package will install dotnetfx without a problem. I've tried turning on dotnetfx logging, but no log file appears. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Martin

davidh
08-22-2006, 11:18 AM
Sorry, but I'm a little unclear as to what is happening here. Could you describe the exact .NET settings you have specified in the 'Build Your Release' view? Also, is this failing on multiple machines? Lastly, does this work as expected if you choose to extract from setup.exe?

I would expect more people to be reporting this issue if the .NET download wasn't working so hopefully we can get this sorted out.

martin.serrano
08-23-2006, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the reply. I had to hand type the settings below from VS (is there some way to capture these config settings? I couldn't find one.) so there may be a couple of typos. I have only tested it on one machine. This test machine has a fresh install of WindowsXP and nothing else. I don't have any other machines (besides my dev machine) that I could test it on. I'm not sure what you mean by
Lastly, does this work as expected if you choose to extract from setup.exe?

However, I have downloaded the same dotnetfx.exe that it is using, started that install and it worked fine (I did not let it complete). I have copied the temporary folder created during single image installation, found the downloaded dotnetfx.exe tried it separately and it worked fine. Also I have verified through others and on my dev machine that if .NET 1.1 is installed the setup works fine. I'm very new to Installshield as you might have guessed. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.


MSI Engine Version: Version 3.1 or 2.0 (best fit for system)
MSI Engine Location: Extract Engine From Setup.exe
Include Setup.exe: Yes
Password Protect Launcher: No
Launcher Password:
Copy Media to Target Machine: Yes
Location for Copying Media: [WindowsFolder]Downloaded Installations
Include MSI Engine(s): Both 9x and NT Engines
Delay MSI Engine Reboot: No
Suppress Launcher Warning: Yes
Generatate Autorun.inf File: Yes
.NET Framework Location: Download From The Web
.NET Framework Version: .NET 1.1
.NET 1.1/2.0 Core Language: English (United States)
Command Line to pass to Dotnetfx.exe: /c: "install /l"
.NET 1.1/2.0 Language Packs:
Command Line to pass to Language Packs:
Display .NET Option Dialog: No
.NET Build Configuration:
.NET and J# Framework URL: http:/*********.com/
J# Redistributable Location: Do Not Include
Show full User interface when installing .NET framework: Yes
Disable Trialware Build: Yes

bryanwolf
08-23-2006, 10:11 AM
Just for the sake of conformity and sanity, please try changing the following settings:

Command Line to pass to Dotnetfx.exe: /c: "install /l"
please change so that this field is blank (no command line)

.NET and J# Framework URL: http:/*********.com/
Please change to the following.
http://www.installengine.com/cert05/dotnetfx

davidh
08-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Without getting into too much of the technical details, I think you might be getting different behavior from manually running the dotnetfx.exe you have because it may be a different file than you are expecting. Checking the file size might help you distinguish the files. Basically there are different files with the same name that serve different purposes.

However, in the quote you were confused about I was referring to the '.NET Framework Location'. Trying changing that to something other than the web option. Obviously that might be the option you want, but that will help us find out if the web option is related. Also please try Bryan Wolf's suggestion.

martin.serrano
08-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Thank you both very much for your suggestions. Indeed the problem was with the dotnetfx file that I was using. I see now that the dotnetfx file that Installshield expects is a Macrovision program that in turn downloads the "real" dotnetfx as appropriate for the configuration. I did not realize this. I was using the microsoft redistributable dotnetfx.

By changing the url to http://www.installengine.com/cert05/dotnetfx as suggested by bryanwolf, everything worked fine.

My confusion stemmed from 3 sources:

1) Inexperience
2) A connection problem early on that made me think that I was not allowed to use the installengine.com url as the url for my setup project.
3) The use of the same name (dotnetfx) for the installshield dotnetfx downloading program.

Thanks again for clearing this up!