PDA

View Full Version : .Net CF 2.0 SP1

BillLange1968
08-11-2006, 10:40 AM
Does InstallShield 11.5 support deploying the Microsoft .Net Compact Framework 2.0 SP1 as well as SQL Mobile. How does InstallShield 11.5 know about these items as so far we have been unable to deploy them.

Regards,

Bill

davidh
08-11-2006, 06:35 PM
InstallShield 12 has added support for the .NET Compact Framework 2.0.

I created work order IOC-000052672 so 2.0 SP1 will be automatically included in our product in the future (simply by checking SP1 in the '.NET Compact Framework' dialog). For now, you will have to use the workarounds detailed here:
http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q111164

mikey_reppy
10-09-2006, 11:20 AM
Does InstallShield 12 Express now have support built in for the Compact Framework 2.0 SP patch? If not, when it is added, will it be a free upgrade or it will not be available until something like 12.5 express?

Also will InstallShield 11.5 Express be upgraded to support the service pack, or this the above mentioned registry editing the only solution for 11.5 Express?

thanks.

davidh
10-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Sorry, but I only know about the technical details of the product.

You should be able to always use the 'registry editing' workaround though if upgrading is not an option.

Usually we find out about the latest redists from Microsoft by staying on top of MSDN. Not the easiest job though:) Sometimes it just comes from customer feedback.

mikey_reppy
10-10-2006, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I created work order IOC-000052672 so 2.0 SP1 will be automatically included in our product in the future (simply by checking SP1 in the '.NET Compact Framework' dialog).

I guess what I really meant to ask was, is was this work order completed?

davidh
10-10-2006, 01:50 PM
No it is not completed. As of now, it is scheduled to be completed with our next release.

mikey_reppy
10-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Ahh, thanks. I am going to work with the workaround for 11.5 you already posted. Which I had already meant to play with, but haven't yet had the time.

Vyskol
01-10-2007, 04:19 PM
I very carefully followed all instructions in the provided link and was unable to get InstallShield 11.5 to deploy (or even build) the .NET CF v2.

Issue #1: Regardless of registry entries and SoureFolder specifications in NetCF.ini, InstallShield will not look anywhere other than <Product Path>\Support\DotNetCFCabs

Issue #2: Many of the cab files have different names and/or locations from v1. So even after copying them all into <ProductPath>\Support\DotNetCFCabs, InstallShield still cannot find the files it's looking for; because they don't exist.

More detail and explicit instructions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Vyskol
01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I found and moved all required .cab files to the Support\DotNetCFCabs, and edited them into the NetCF.ini.

Now I'm getting this error:

The CabFiles key in the ini file that supports the "DotNetCF" Windows Mobile installation is too long. Shorten the Application Name, Company Name, or reduce the number of platforms/processors targeted. -7016

All platforms/processors are targeted (as suggested by support when searching for this error), but the error message still persists.

I'd welcome any other suggestions.

davidh
01-11-2007, 03:18 PM
When you say "platforms/processors are targeted", does that mean you are choosing 'Platform/processor independent' on the 'Processor\Platform' tab? Or, does it mean you are choosing the other options, with each option checked? I suggest using the independent option if you have not done so already.

Vyskol
01-11-2007, 03:28 PM
Under the Mobile Devices node (in Installation Designer), I click on the link for the ".NET Compact Framework" redistributable, which opens the Windows Mobile Wizard where Include the .NET Compact Framework check box is checked. Below is a button labeled "Advanced...". Clicking it brings up a window for "Target Devices", of which all are checked.

I don't see anywhere that I can select "Platform/processor independent"....

davidh
01-11-2007, 03:30 PM
I was referring to the property dialog that comes up if you clcik on the 'Properties' button in the 'Device Files' dialog.

Vyskol
01-11-2007, 03:42 PM
I was referring to the property dialog that comes up if you clcik on the 'Properties' button in the 'Device Files' dialog.

Ah! :)

Okay, I selected "Platform/processor independent" for all included files.
I'm still getting the same error message. :(

davidh
01-11-2007, 03:44 PM
I'' have to look into this and get back to you when I get a chance:(

You can also check that dialog in the other panels, like for the registry. Also perhaps see if you get that warning with a new project.

davidh
01-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Ok. I get this warning if I create a new mobile install and target specific processors. If I chose the 'independent' option, the warning went away. So perhaps you are not choosing the independent option in another panel. You could also try shortening the other values (as suggested in the warning).

It should be noted that this is just a warning. I have not seen this actually cause a problem on a mobile device.

Vyskol
01-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Hmm, it was showing up as an error for me. But anyway, I removed the files/platforms from the .ini file that I don't need and the error went away.

I'm having a different problem now. :)

Installing to a handheld with Windows Mobile, I'm not having any problems. However, installing to Windows CE 5, I get a "Unsupported System Version" warning. I'm able to ignore the errors and the installation continues and completes and the handheld runs the application without issue....

davidh
01-12-2007, 02:31 PM
You are right, at some point it was downgraded from an error to a warning because it was actually never shown to cause a problem.

You should be fine ignoring the error, I think you are getting that error because ce 5 was not around when 11.5 was released. You can choose to support all platforms to get around it, or upgrade to 12.

Vyskol
01-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Okay. Thanks for all your help. It's very much appreciated.