View Full Version : Using Requirements / System Search Wizard

mchafin
07-26-2006, 10:47 AM
I can not get this feature to work in Expr 11.5

I'm using a Registry Entry Exists condition where:

Root: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Registry Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\frontpg.exe

Registry Value: blank or empty

The installation will be allowed to continue if found or display the message "Not found" if not.

After building and runing the install it always returns the Not Found message even though the registy exists.

What am I doing wrong, the help system is useless, or is there a bug?

Thanks,

Mike

DebbieL
07-27-2006, 08:50 AM
Does the frontpg.exe registry entry have any data for the default value in the registry where you are testing this?

If you leave the Registry Value blank in the System Search Wizard, the system search checks to see whether any data is specified for the default value.

I simply added HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\frontpg.exe to my registry. When I ran the installation that had the system search, I got the same results that you got.

Then I went back to the registry, double-clicked the default value for frontpg.exe, and set the value data to Testing. When I ran the installation again, it continued without displaying the Not Found message.

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

another_1
08-03-2006, 07:28 PM
So - does this mean that System Search does not really works if one wants to check an existence of a key which's default value does not have a value data?
So one shall use InstallScript only to check for the existence of registry key?
Thank you,
MY

another_1
08-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Had the same problem, found this in Help:
"Note that it is not possible to use the RegLocator table to check only for the presence of the key. However, you can search for the default value of a key and retrieve its value if it is not empty."
So looks like it's back to InstallScript...

I can not get this feature to work in Expr 11.5

I'm using a Registry Entry Exists condition where:

Root: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Registry Key: SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\frontpg.exe

Registry Value: blank or empty

The installation will be allowed to continue if found or display the message "Not found" if not.

After building and runing the install it always returns the Not Found message even though the registy exists.

What am I doing wrong, the help system is useless, or is there a bug?

Thanks,

Mike

TsungH
08-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Please note that Express Edition does not support custom action in InstallScript. It does, however, support other forms of custom action, EXE, VBScript (if I remember it right), and one other that I don't remember.