PDA

View Full Version : Uninstall of scripting project give 1155 error

Flowers
07-24-2006, 10:08 AM
When I attempt to uninstall my application from Add/Remove Programs, I get the following error:

1155: File C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID} not found

There is no verbose log created when this happens. The registry value UNINSTALLSTRING appears to be trying to execute SETUP.EXE. This file is located in the directory specified in the error message.

Source was not needed when we attempted uninstalls with InstallShield 10.5 . This problem begun happening only after converting to InstallShield 12.

srweisner
07-28-2006, 06:07 PM
I've been seeing this in InstallShield 12 too. I just figured out what the cause is, but not the solution.

It appears to me that *normally* the setup.ini file that is copied into the C:\Program Files\InstallShield Installation Information\{GUID} folder has a line inserted into the [Startup] section that says "source=0". I'm assuming this means the InstallShield can at least start up in Maintenance mode without the source media because it should not necessarily be required for an uninstall.

I have found that if the setup.ini file on the source media during the initial installation is read-only (either from the file attributes or from being on a CD or ISO image) then the setup.ini file is not updated to include this line and InstallShield will not start in maintenance mode because it cannot find the MSI file in the C:\...{GUID} folder mentioned above.

As a workaround, add the source=0 line to the end of the [Startup] section and the problem seems to go away.

Since this line seems to be added automatically by the installer when originally installing from a writable media folder, I don't know why it is not doing the same when installing from a read-only media.

MichaelU
07-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Is the cached setup.ini marked as read only in this scenario? If so it's probably something we'd need to hotfix (and hopefully easy to do so).

Flowers
08-01-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi

Yes, the setup.ini is marked as read-only because the install is occurring from the CD. If the setup.ini is not marked as read-only and the install occurs from our network drive, then the problem does not occur.

Our work-around is to copy our own setup.ini with the "Source=0" line in it to the correct location during OnEnd() . We then mark this as read-only preventing InstallShield from placing its version of the setup.ini which is missing the "Source=0" line.

MichaelU
08-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Ah, nice workaround! That'll probably work for other errors with the cached setup.ini as well.

I've submitted this issue as IOC-000052411 for tracking purposes.

MichaelU
08-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Here's a replacement ISSetup.dll which should address the read-only cached setup.ini issue. It also addresses a passworded setup issue (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?p=357532). It hasn't gone through formal QA yet, but I'm posting it now in interest for you to be able to use it as soon as possible, so please test it yourself before deploying.

The zip file contains the single ISSetup.dll file, which should be placed in <InstallShield>\Redist\Language Independent\i386

srweisner
08-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Oh man am I glad to see this!!

Since my earlier reply I've been away on vacation and then doing some training where I couldn't closely monitor this. I'll try testing this right away and if I find any problems I'll add some further details.

Thanks for the (unofficial) hotfix Michael.

JesseBearden
09-01-2006, 01:51 PM
I'm having a similar issue, but not quite exactly the same. While uninstalling I get: "1155: File C:\Docume~1\Jesse\Locals~1\Temp\{Guid} not found"

The rest of the path has been cut off, so I can't tell exactly which file it was looking for.

This is an installscript msi project. If I run it from the original install location, it uninstalls without issue, but uninstalling from the control panel gives me this error.

Jesse

Edit: I should add that none of the files are read only I guess

MichaelU
09-05-2006, 10:02 AM
Jesse, are you working with the updated ISSetup.dll file I posted in this thread? If so, what do your release settings look like - there's probably one that you can toggle which will make this go away - if we can isolate the setting, we should be able to address whatever went wrong. If knowing what file is missing will help you narrow this down, you might try using a utility like filemon from SysInternals.

JesseBearden
09-05-2006, 01:23 PM
I was not using the updated ISSetup.dll that you posted. I was under the impression that this marked setup.ini as not read only. I'll try that out today and maybe do some more research and see what I can find.

Jesse

Flowers
09-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Has this new ISSetup.dll passed formal QA testing? Unfortunately, I won't be allowed to use this in our product if it has not.

BrHartmann
10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
I was getting an error matching Jesse's when trying to uninstall from Add/Remove programs, and the updated ISSetup.dll did not help.

Following MichaelU's advice, I isolated the cause (or one cause, at least):

I had enabled a Japanese language pack (2.0) under ".NET 1.1/2.0 Language Packs" in my release settings.

The error condition was slightly different if you set .NET Framework Location to download from the web. In this case, you get a C++ runtime error popup.

This is a big issue for our company. I would appreciate some response from a Macrovision employee guaranteeing that this will be fixed via HotFix, and will not require purchasing IS 12.5 to get this fixed. Thank you.

Flowers
10-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Putting a value in the Release Settings: MSI command line parameters caused us problems on the uninstall. For "small upgrades" , we had placed REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus in for that value along with a custom action to set REINSTALL = {} when "Not Installed"

This worked in prior releases but stopped working with IS12. If you have a value here, try removing it.

Nathan Wiegman
10-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Hi,

I, too, have run into the exact same problem. Adding the extra line to the setup.ini file did the trick. It amazes me that this problem is not more prevalent. Either few people are installing IS12-based installs from read-only media or we are trailblazing with IS 12.

I, too, await a formal patch for this issue.

Thanks,
Nate

Has this new ISSetup.dll passed formal QA testing? Unfortunately, I won't be allowed to use this in our product if it has not.

Nathan Wiegman
10-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Hi,

I see that there are many ISSetup.dll files in the program files folder (see list below). Which ones am I supposed to replace? I tried replacing the one in the system folder, but my subsequent installation was still unable to uninstall.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer. I am trying to come up with a solution to this problem quickly as we might be shipping in 3 weeks.

Thanks,
Nate

>>>

Y:\Program Files\Macrovision>dir issetup.dll /s
Volume in drive Y has no label.
Volume Serial Number is FC66-0726

Directory of Y:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\Redist\Language Independent\i386

08/15/2006 04:30 PM 505,856 ISSetup.dll
1 File(s) 505,856 bytes

Directory of Y:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\Redist\Language Independent\i386\ISP

1 File(s) 505,856 bytes

Directory of Y:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\Support\Build

05/16/2006 12:02 PM 0 ISSetup.dll
1 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of Y:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\Support\Dialog Sampler\Media\Default\Disk Images\Disk1

05/24/2006 12:17 PM 552,214 ISSetup.dll
1 File(s) 552,214 bytes

Directory of Y:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\Support\Dialog Sampler\Media\Skin\Disk Images\Disk1

05/24/2006 12:17 PM 552,214 ISSetup.dll
1 File(s) 552,214 bytes

Directory of Y:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\System

1 File(s) 505,856 bytes

Total Files Listed:
6 File(s) 2,621,996 bytes
0 Dir(s) 112,471,683,072 bytes free

MichaelU
10-20-2006, 05:32 PM
As I said earlier in this thread, the path which corresponds to your first one (Y:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\Redist\Language Independent\i386) is the one you want to replace. I'm not sure on visual inspection which it is, but there's another location for InstallScript projects, and you don't want to replace that with this one. Some of the others (the slightly larger ones under Dialog Sampler) are the built results for some helper projects, so won't do you any good to replace.

Nathan Wiegman
10-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the update on the correct path to place my patched "IsSetup.dll" file, Michael.

I am now able to install from a CD and later uninstall. However, the program shortcuts are not being removed with the uninstall. (The shortcuts will be removed if I do not install from CD.) Is there any workaround for this or way that I could get another "IsSetup.dll" to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Nate

MichaelU
10-23-2006, 03:21 PM
I am not aware of a problem removing shortcuts when installing from CD. If you have not already, it might be useful to open a support incident on this matter. Other workaround-style options might include changing between MSI table driven shortcuts and AddFolderIcon created shortcuts (I would guess you have the latter when the former might work better).

burked
01-25-2007, 07:32 AM
Is there any benefit to MSI projects with this hotfix?

thanks,

D

MichaelU
01-25-2007, 11:16 AM
This particular fix (the read-only nature of certain cached files) is only relevant to InstallScript MSI projects. Other updates to ISSetup.dll can be relevant to Basic MSI projects that use InstallScript custom actions as well.

adavenpo
01-30-2007, 04:18 PM
I had enabled a Japanese language pack (2.0) under ".NET 1.1/2.0 Language Packs" in my release settings.

I got the same thing, though resolving it required removing more than just the Japanese language pack. Has any alternative fix been identified that would leave the language packs in place?