PDA

View Full Version : Internal Error 2711 (ADDLOCAL)

obaeyens
07-24-2006, 03:50 AM
I have this interesting problem:
I need an installer that can create 3 different installations depending on the user selection, but want to use only one install msi file. So we discovered the ADDLOCAL keyword that can be passed on by the msiexec command parameters.

Just one small problem: I get a “Internal Error 2711” when I execute the msiexec.

Tracing the problem I discovered that it is caused by not finding the feature, to install. Further testing I discovered that it appears to be a bug in the InstallShield since the feature is indeed defined but for some unknown reason it does not know about the new names but keeps insisting on using the first created feature name.

When I try this:
· Create a completely new project.
· Add the feature “NewFeature1”
· Build
· Execute: msiexec /i test.msi ADDLOCAL=NewFeature1

It works perfect.

Now I rename the feature “NewFeature1” to something else like “VisioWave30”
And build the command “msiexec /i test.msi ADDLOCAL= VisioWave30” fails with the “Internal Error 2711” error!

Now is the interesting part,

If I execute that same msi file with “msiexec /i test.msi ADDLOCAL=NewFeature1” then it succeeds!!! It is clearly that it keeps on remembering the older feature while that one has been omitted in the installshield project!

Do we have a fix for that? Or a workaround?
Many thanks

TsungH
07-24-2006, 11:50 PM
Where and how did you change the feature name? Did you change in ISM project and rebuild the project? Can you open up MSI file (.msi) in InstallShield X IDE and verify the feature name is not changed?
Now I rename the feature “NewFeature1” to something else like “VisioWave30”
And build the command “msiexec /i test.msi ADDLOCAL= VisioWave30” fails with the “Internal Error 2711” error!