PDA

View Full Version : Error installing dao350 in Vista

Sorenhes
07-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Hello,

I've been testing IS 12 on Windows Vista Beta 2 and have encountered an error that I haven't been able to resolve.

One of the applications that I install requires the installation of DAO 3.5. I use the DOA 3.5 legacy object in my setup (which is a InstallScript project and was migrated from IS 7.01) and when I install on Vista I get a self-registration error (see attachment). This error only occurs on Vista.

Is there a known issue concerning legacy objects or DAO 3.5 in particular. I've searched in this community and on other forums to no avail.

If anybody has any suggestions...

Regards,

Robert

Sorenhes
07-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Sorry, forgot the attachment :(

Christopher Painter
07-21-2006, 08:09 AM
I havn't played with InstallScript projects on Vista yet, but my guess would be that this is some kind of UAC permissions problem. I've read about manifesting setup.exe, having WindowsInstaller how to properly mark packages as needing administrator privlidges and running CA's without impersonation ( elevated ), but I'm not sure what needs to be done to your project.

What happens when you try to register manually with Regsvr32? Do you get the same errors?

Sorenhes
07-21-2006, 08:45 AM
Hi Chris,

Haven't tried that yet. I'll try it and post my results.

Sorenhes
07-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Hi Chris,

I got the following error when trying to register the DLL. From what I found concerning error 0x8002801c, on different forums, is that it is related to security settings in the registry and having admin privilieges.

I find this peculiar because I do not permit my software to be installed if the user doesn't have admin privileges. I check this in the OnBegin event and I display a message and abort if I detect that the user is non admin. Thus the setup must have been elevated to admin status by Vista. And I have this problem only for the DAO object. I also use the MDAC, Jet 4.0 and VB 6 runtime objects and they do not cause any problems.

Christopher Painter
07-21-2006, 10:15 AM
On Vista, just because you are in the Administrators group doesn't mean that you are given Administrative Privlidges when you create a process.

http://blogs.msdn.com/robmen/archive/2006/02/22/537106.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/security/uac.mspx