PDA

View Full Version : Deploying .NET 1.1, .NET 2.0 & SQL Server 2005 Express

agupta
07-19-2006, 06:24 PM
Hi there,

I'm very new to InstallShield 12. I have a .NET 1.1 application that uses SQL Server 2005 Express that I would like to deploy on an end user's machine.

The scenario is as follows:

* The user can choose to install the client only (requires .NET 1.1)
* The user can choose to install SQL Server 2005 EE only (requires .NET 2.0)
* The user can choose to install the application in single user mode (i.e. installing both the client and server on the same machine, hence requiring both versions of the .NET framework).

What is the best way to go about doing what I'm trying to do?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

MichaelU
07-20-2006, 10:42 AM
I think I would suggest splitting this into two installers, perhaps sharing a custom merge module for any overlap, unless it will be common to install both on the same machine. If you do keep them as one installer, the builtin support for distributing .NET only does one version at a time so you will have to create a prerequisite for the other.

agupta
07-20-2006, 03:54 PM
Well, I don't have any overlap between the 2. Unfortunately our marketing department tells me that installing both SQL Server and the client on the same machine is THE most likely scenario.

I'm going to try creating them as 2 separate installations and see how that goes.

The server installation needs to install SQL server 2005 and .NET 2 and nothing else. Oh, and maybe Windows Installer 3.1 as that is a prq for .NET 2. The problem comes about when checking OS versions as SQL Server 2005 only supports Win2k SP4, and WinXP SP2. As far as I know, the prerequisites get installed before the installer's conditions are checked right? So if I put both the conditions in the prerequisite, it'll never get installed because you can't have both Win2k SP4 AND WinXP SP2 on the same machine at the same time can you?

Thanks for your help by the way :) It's much appreciated!

MichaelU
07-20-2006, 05:15 PM
OS Conditions are or'd together, then that combined result is and'd together with all the other conditions. So yes you can support multiple specific operating system versions from a single prerequisite.

agupta
07-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Ah right, thank you for your help Michael. I'll keep you posted on my progress :)

agupta
07-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Okay, so I've been trying to just make an installer for the server component. Except, now, when SQL Server 2005 Express is installed as a prerequisite, I keep getting a message saying the installation has failed.

Any way to find out why or how it has failed?

Kallex
07-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Okay, so I've been trying to just make an installer for the server component. Except, now, when SQL Server 2005 Express is installed as a prerequisite, I keep getting a message saying the installation has failed.

Any way to find out why or how it has failed?

Ensure that the SQL Server Express really installs without failure. There seems to be common problem with SQL Server Native client already being in the target machine, that has to be uninstalled before installing SQL Server Express.

For more details see:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/1/0/f10c4f60-630e-4153-bd53-c3010e4c513b/ReadmeSQLEXP2005.htm#_3462_setup_issues_238p

Oh and btw, just a slight correction to your previous message: Windows Installer 3.1 is not prereq for .NET 2.0, but for SQL Server Express. Regardless though, InstallShield is able to automatically install it in the process without even requiring the reboot that the 3.1 installation normally requires.

agupta
07-24-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi,

How can I ensure that SQL Server Express is installing without any errors? Is there a log or something I can look at? It installs okay when I do a stand-alone install...?

I uninstall the SQL Native Client before trying to install using my MSI project.

Any help?

agupta
07-25-2006, 06:33 PM
Okay, it appears the problem is this:

We are trying to deploy Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition WITH Advanced Services SP1.

The Advanced Services edition includes a check for IIS...which fails and generates a warning. Although, this still allows all of the server (minus features relying on IIS) to be installed.

We're only using AS edition because of the full text search feature.

I know I can completely suppress the warning and continue installing the rest of the files, but that's a bad way to do it as there may be other errors or warnings that are generated but don't get reported on.

Any way I can fix or get around this problem? Anyone know if I can skip the IIS check for SS2005EE with Advanced Services?