PDA

View Full Version : Can automation in IS 12 let me modify the Path Variables?

Taytay
07-18-2006, 06:31 PM
I have seen this posted time and time again in the forums, but I haven't seen it for IS 12 yet, so I thought I'd ask it: How can I modify the path variables of my InstallScript Installer using Automation. I'm hoping that this has been introduced in 12, but I couldn't find it in the docs, so I'm thinking it probably hasn't been. Does anyone know for sure?

Christopher Painter
07-18-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't see anything in the automation to do this. However path variables can derive from registry values so you could use that to vary the settings at build time.

Personally though, I like to make all of my references relative to the project folder and just have build automation copy the files into that location for linking. I also build from the root of a substituted drive to avoid problems where the path and an extracted file from a merge module won't exceed windows path length limitations.

lakshmanaprakas
07-19-2006, 01:07 AM
This article may help you

http://www.installshield.com/news/newsletter/0402-articles/modify.asp

Cheers
Lakshman

Christopher Painter
07-19-2006, 06:48 AM
A great article, but rather long in the tooth. ( 2002 ). Back then InstallShield only saved projects in Binary formats so you could use the WindowsInstaller automation interface to make database changes to the project.

For version control / CM purposes it's best to save your projects in XML format. This has a draw back of no longer being able to treat your project as an MSI database. The alternative would be to use an XML parser. However I think there are simpler ways such as I decribed a couple posts back.