PDA

View Full Version : Uninstaller Error. Can't Uninstall

scottd72
07-17-2006, 12:37 PM
I need some help fast on this. I just upgraded to 12 and I can't uninstall my programs. The projects were made in 11.5, then I upgraded to 12 and updated the projects. Now when I install them and then go to uninstall them I get the Uninstaller Error...An error occurred while trying to remove "program". It may have already been uninstalled.

Anyone know what to do about this? I'm in quite a situation here and I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

Ben Kirchhoff
08-16-2006, 12:56 PM
I've converted two 11.5 Installscript MSI projects to version 12 and neither of them will uninstall. Both display the following error:

"Error reading setup initialization file."

This make 12 worthless.

scottd72
08-16-2006, 01:05 PM
I've converted two 11.5 Installscript MSI projects to version 12 and neither of them will uninstall. Both display the following error:

"Error reading setup initialization file."

This make 12 worthless.
Sorry, I should have posted what I did to fix my problem. Maybe it could fix yours too, I don't know?

My program would uninstall just fine if I double clicked the setup.exe file. But if I tried to uninstall through add/remove programs I would keep telling me it has already been uninstalled.

The solution to my problem was in the Releases tab. I created a compressed build, and all I had to do was just go to the Compressed Release table, find 'MSI Engine Location' and set it to 'Extract Engine From Setup.exe' instead of 'Copy from Source Media.' Try that and see if it works.

Ben Kirchhoff
08-17-2006, 02:35 PM
Both installs are Web, single exe with Extract from Setup.

What I found was if the 11.5 project is installed then removed and then converted to 12.o and installed on the same PC the error would appear when trying to remove it using Add/Remove in the Control Panel. I had to run the 12.0 setup.exe again to get into maintenance mode and then 'Remove'. After that, you could install and remove the 12.0 project without an error. ????

Using a fresh image of the OS, with no previous installs on it, I installed the 12.0 version. The same problem shows when trying to remove the app using Add/Remove from the Control Panel. Run the setup.exe again to remove it, then it works after that.

I've been using InstallShield since version 9.0 came out. I've done many conversions with little trouble until now.

DEIFAN#8
09-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Scottd72's solution fixed this failure for me. It would be interesting to hear from Macrovision as to why this change would make a difference? :confused: Then again, I am happy that it is working now. Thanks for posting the solution ScottD72. :)

Ben Kirchhoff
09-18-2006, 01:29 PM
Did another conversion of a 11.5 project, only this time I removed the Minor Upgrade and the problem is gone.
Due to last minute changes (well of course) the install has been bumped up to a Major Upgrade. Since this means removing the current install, I decided to start with a fresh project using 12.0 and forcefully removing any previous version.