PDA

View Full Version : OCI and IE 7 on Vista

Sorenhes
07-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Hello,

I've been testing IS 12 on Vista Beta 2 for over 2 weeks now and tried to test an OCI setup on IE 7 that comes with Vista and I get the following message after the ActiveX has been installed.

"Setup cannot run from this Web page. Verifiy you have the correct browser settings, click Refresh, etc, etc.."

I checked to browser setting and even set them to the minimum setting and still have the problem. I also checked to see if execution of Javascript is actived and it was.

I've seen posts concerning problems between IE 7 and the OCI ActiveX but no workaround is mentionned. It is also mentionned that there are new security functionalities in IE 7 that can cause OCI to fail.

I also tested with IS 7.01 that we are currently using in production and I have the same result.

Is this an IE problem or are modifications needed to OCI the web pages that we use to call OCI ?

Regards,

Robert

DevinEllingson
07-17-2006, 06:44 PM
This is most likely a security settings problem, sometimes with IE6/7 it can be very difficult to figure out which security settings are preventing the setup from running, especially when the OCI setup is running from a UNC location instead of a URL. Under "Internet Options - Advanced", under "Security", check whether the first three checkboxes are checked (they start with Allow...). Also, you may have to reboot after changing these.

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
InstallShield, A Macrovision Company

Sorenhes
07-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Hello Devin,

I modified the security settings as you specified and I still have the same problem.

The IS 7.01 OCI setup is called from a URL but my IS 12 test is called from a UNC and they both give the same result.

Has anybody looked into testing OCI on Internet Explorer 7 ? The version that comes with Vista is version 7 Beta 2.

I also looked the properties of the OCI plugin after it had been installed (via C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files) and when I go in the Dependecies tab it is mentioned that the plugin is damaged. I looked on my machine (WinXP) and it mentions that Setup.exe located in C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files is the dependancy.

Could the elevated security on directories in Vista be a source of the problem ?

Regards,

Robert

vinodn1
09-25-2006, 01:51 PM
Hi Robert,

I am seeing the same problem, lowering the security settings does not help.

Have you been able to get past this problem? Please update.

Thanks.

Sorenhes
09-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Hi,

I've tried on Vista RC1 with the same results. I changed the security settings and I still get the same error. I'm waiting to get my hands on IS 12 (which is ordered) to see if I will get the same problem.

Regards,

Robert

DevinEllingson
09-25-2006, 02:17 PM
I have been able to get OCI setups to work on Vista but only with UAC turned off, so please try turning off UAC temporarily. Does the OCI setup then work?

Devin Ellingson
Software Developer
InstallShield, A Macrovision Company

vinodn1
09-25-2006, 03:28 PM
Devin,

You are right, I was able to get the setup working once the User Account Control was turned off. This is surprising because there was no UAC popup earlier.

Thanks,
Vinod

Sorenhes
09-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Hi Vinod and Devin,

UAC is definitely the culprit. I turned it off and my problems disappeared :D

Is there or will there be a way to distinguish this error from the others so that we, in the web page that uses the OCI plugin, advise the user on a course of action ?

Regards,

Robert

Ribena
09-26-2008, 10:43 AM
So...what's the solution then? stop using OCI? I have this problem with IS12 and we can't ask our users to turn off UAC on Vista.

Jen

vinodn1
09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Ribena,

I am not sure what else you could do using IS 12. We eventually moved to IS 2008 to overcome this problem.

The only other alternative I can think of is using a "single package exe".