PDA

View Full Version : Add Control to Dialog Problem

ekramer11
07-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Onward to my next issue it would seem.

I am using Installshield 12 with Visual Studio 2005. Both are brand spanking new and have all updates installed. I'm running it on XP SP2 with all the most current updates.

I am still making a basic MSI installer.

I want to add a custom dialog so I went to the User Interface>>Dialogs view. Then I right click on the 'All Dialogs' tree node and select 'New Dialog' from the context menu.

In the wizard I do the following:
Interior Wizard Panel

User Interface Sequence: Installation
Insert the new Dialog AFter: InstallWelcome

Move the new dialog ( has the name of Interior ) down past the SQLLogin dialog.

Show this dialog when: 1 ( always )

Hit finish

Rename the dialog in the tree view by right clicking on it and typing in a new name.

Then, I expand the node and click on the 'English' view for it.

At this point the docs are a little weird. They seem to indicate that I should be able to drag a control from the toolbox to the dialog. But they also say you should select the control (release the mouse )and then draw a box with the mouse on the form where you want the control to be. This is not working.

If I double-click a control like in the regular forms IDE for VS2005. Nothing happens.

If I select a control and try to drag it onto the dialog all I get is a little 'No' symbol but no control appears anywhere.

If I select a control and try to draw a box to represent it on the dialog I at first see a box being drawn but as soon as I release the mouse again the box dissapears and no control appears.

It doesn't appear to matter what control I try this with.

I can however, copy and paste controls from other dialogs ( or from this one )

I did some searching in the KB and help docs and such and I'm not finding anything to help me figure out what is going on. I did however find someone else with the same problem in the forums:Problem adding controls to dialog (http://community.macrovision.com/showthread.php?t=154614&highlight=add+controls+dialog)

Anyone have any ideas on this? I want to add some controls that are in the toolbox but I don't see in the other dialogs so I can't just copy/paste.

ekramer11
07-18-2006, 09:33 AM
Nobody has any comments? None at all?

MichaelU
07-18-2006, 10:41 AM
I don't have anything useful; it sounds like you are working on this from within Visual Studio. Could you try this in our main IDE and see if the behavior is similar? If it is not, there might be some VSIP-specific issue that we haven't accounted for. If it is, I hope it's just a misunderstanding, as what I'm hearing you describe sounds rather annoying.

ekramer11
07-18-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm on the phone with tech support right now and they're working on a support incident.

I am working with the visual studio ide, yes. I just tested it with the 2003 IDE and it worked normally. The 2005 visual studio IDE ( which is what I am working with ) however, doesn't work at all.

I just opened up the installshield 12 IDE for the first time. I only just found out it existed when I talked to support.

It would appear that editing a dialog using the Installshield IDE works normally as well. So it would appear that this is a problem with the interaction between Installshield 12 and Visual Studio 2005. I suppose I will have to create my dialogs in the IS ide and export them and then import them into the visual studio IDE. I will also have to explore the IS ide a bit more.

I've had some other strangeness that I couldn't explain as well when working with the VS 2005 IDE and installshield. Hopefully the IS ide will be better.

I will report here whatever tech support has to say about this issue. I can't speak for everyone but I'd much rather be able to do some searches on forums or in the KB to fix issues than being on the phone for 45 minutes. I hate being on the phone.

MichaelU
07-18-2006, 12:54 PM
For what it's worth, there should be no problems opening the .ism that is in your Visual Studio project and editing it in our main IDE. If you are using project output groups you will not be able to build it there, but you may be able to avoid the export/import steps.

ekramer11
07-19-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm actually finding things a good deal easier in the Installshield IDE in truth. A lot of the postings here make a lot more sense now that I'm looking at the same screens as the people writing them.

This dialog/control thing was actually confirmed by tech support as a problem with the VS2005 IDE. They are curently working on a solution.

DWillis
11-11-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm actually finding things a good deal easier in the Installshield IDE in truth. A lot of the postings here make a lot more sense now that I'm looking at the same screens as the people writing them.

This dialog/control thing was actually confirmed by tech support as a problem with the VS2005 IDE. They are curently working on a solution.

2 Years later, in IS 2009, there is the same problem. Guess they never worked on a solution for this. Having an interface to VS doesn't do much good if you can't use it to the fullest extent necessary to achieve success... :rolleyes: