PDA

View Full Version : How to include .net redist for x64?

ch2.lee
07-13-2006, 05:18 AM
How to include .net redist for x64?

I set the release property .NET Framework Location to Download From The Web. But it does not download the redist for x64 when running the setup on a x64 server.
I set the release property .NET Framework Location to Extract From Setup.exe. But it does not include the redist for x64.
In the Redistributable Downloader , I can't see any .net redist for x64 to download.

Any body can help me make it out?
Thank you very much!

William-Webb
07-13-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm not sure if this is the correct way to go about it, but this is the work-a-round i've made for 64 and 32 bit programms...

Create TWO prerequisites, one for 32bit and one for 64bit. Assign one to be called when running on a x64 system, and one on a x86 system...

Not the best way, and slightly messy.. but it works! :D

MichaelU
07-13-2006, 10:17 AM
This is correct; we do not have built-in support for the 64-bit .NET (2.0) frameworks at this time. Prerequisites should be able to support both 32 and 64-bit .NET 2.0 frameworks correctly, so that's a great route to go.

gbyers
10-27-2006, 10:31 AM
Any plans for Installshield to include x64 framework redist packages?
Or a pre-requisite that will install 1.1 & 2.0???

yourhrinstall
02-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Can you explain a bit more as to how to do this from InstallShield? Does your build automatically recognise the target machine and install the appropriate framework?

I am using InstallShield Express 12.

Thank you for your help.

I'm not sure if this is the correct way to go about it, but this is the work-a-round i've made for 64 and 32 bit programms...

Create TWO prerequisites, one for 32bit and one for 64bit. Assign one to be called when running on a x64 system, and one on a x86 system...

Not the best way, and slightly messy.. but it works! :D

yourhrinstall
02-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Hi Michael,

I encountered the same issue, different frameworks for 32-bit and 64-bit machines. I found this on the forum. Can you explain a bit more as to how to do this from InstallShield? Does the InstallShield build automatically recognise the target machine and install the appropriate framework?

I am using InstallShield Express 12.

Thank you for your help.

This is correct; we do not have built-in support for the 64-bit .NET (2.0) frameworks at this time. Prerequisites should be able to support both 32 and 64-bit .NET 2.0 frameworks correctly, so that's a great route to go.

William-Webb
02-08-2007, 03:44 AM
Create a prerequisite as normal, enter the version information etc. to detect the current installed version of the framework.

And simply create another condition only searching to see if the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WOW6432Node" entry exists.

If it does, run/install the x64 version, if not run/install the x86...

Ensure you create a similar condition in the standard 32bit prerequisite otherwise both will try to install on an x64 (

EDIT:: This may be a long way around for some, you can define wether to install to a 32 or 64 bit variant of an OS...

DebbieL
02-08-2007, 10:26 AM
yourhrinstall,

Please note that only the Premier and Professional editions of InstallShield include the Setup Prerequisite Editor, which allows you to create your own setup prerequisites and edit existing ones.

The Setup Prerequisite Editor is not available in the Express edition of InstallShield.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

William-Webb
02-08-2007, 10:33 AM
yourhrinstall,

Please note that only the Premier and Professional editions of InstallShield include the Setup Prerequisite Editor, which allows you to create your own setup prerequisites and edit existing ones.

The Setup Prerequisite Editor is not available in the Express edition of InstallShield.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

I must admit I didn't know that... How do you currently install the framework?

via InstallScript?? If so, simply search for the above registry entry before calling the installation....

yourhrinstall
02-09-2007, 03:13 PM
William,

Thank you for your reply. Can you explain more on how to create and use InstallScripts and whether it will be able to run on InstallShield Express edition?

If it can be, then how do I provide such a search? An example would be great.

Thanks

I must admit I didn't know that... How do you currently install the framework?

via InstallScript?? If so, simply search for the above registry entry before calling the installation....