PDA

View Full Version : Team Foundation Server

MichaelHlavinka
07-10-2006, 09:15 AM
Can anyone comment on what they've heard about Visual Studio 2005 w/ TFS integration in InstallShield 12? It still appears to not work for me.

MichaelU
07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Integration with TFS was not addressed as part of the work for InstallShield 12, so we still have no official support for TFS. And yeah, I've heard it's not working so well. I suspect making it work is the next big item on my plate...

Mike Marino
08-14-2006, 11:21 AM
We have figured out the problem with InstallShield and Team Server. The short of it is that it is a Microsoft Problem, and you need to contact them for a fix.

For details see:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/view.asp?articleid=Q112344

Hope this helps

MichaelHlavinka
11-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Even with this hotfix the integration is a little "quirky". Things don't always behave very well.

bryanwolf
11-16-2006, 09:26 AM
You're probably best off at least trying to install the service pack beta. Obviously, it's a beta and that should be kept in mind, but in our experience it has resolved a vast majority of VSIP quirks.

MichaelHlavinka
11-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, on my system I'm running without the SP1 beta because I'm trying to get a production release distributed.

bryanwolf
11-16-2006, 09:53 AM
Yeah - understandable.

Fortuntately, from my recollection, the quirks remaining after installing that fix are benign and shouldn't impact your ability to work at least. But I do recall them being a bit annoying and problematic.

Not related in any way to the topic, but something I've had a bit of experience with lately and found very interesting:
I've grown to really, really like source control on the shell instead of source control on the software (Ie, your source control is visible from explorer and transparent to the IDE).

Christopher Painter
11-16-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm using TFS with Team Build. I've technically integrated InstallShield ( applying the VS hotfix seemed to resolve my hangs ) but I really tend to do my checkout for Team Explorer but then open my InstallShield project outside of VS. I do this because I was having a hard time in my build automation figuring out how to get the proper Product Configuration / Release names passed to the build target.

For my build automation ( using Team Build ) I'm using the Microsoft targets except I'm not building a solution. Instead I've overridden a bunch of the after tasks to call custom plumbing for invoking the stand alone build engine. It actually works very nicely though.

If I could figure out how to pass the properties correctly I'd try building it using the .sln/.isproj and actually using the VSIP for development work. I'll work on it more one day but for not it's very stable the way it is.

Christopher Painter
11-16-2006, 04:12 PM
Well, it took me te better part of the day, but I've rewired my build automation to use CoreCompile and the InstallShield targets instead of some home brewed plumbing. The Team Build / InstallShield integration is pretty nice.

Now, back to VSIP......

I'm getting an error when I attempt to bind my InstallShield Project to source control.....

MichaelHlavinka
11-16-2006, 11:32 PM
I agree. The quirks are more of an annoyance than anything else. I do the same thing in that I checkout from team explorer because I don't have much luck in checking out from solution explorer with IS. I also had to do quite a bit of work to migrate successfully an existing VSS controlled installation project into TFS.

I also find myself having to save and reload solutions frequently because things aren't always in sync. Finally, some of the views occassionally seem to not have the current information in the VS IDE. Seems like they're not always being refreshed.

bryanwolf
11-17-2006, 09:27 AM
Chris:

Looks like you're going through the Change source control dialog? This works for me if I install VS2005 SP1 Beta; however, this dialog does report that error if you do not.

Michael:

I noticed that TFS goes out of synch a lot in general - not with InstallShield projects exclusively. Working on some open source projects from Microsoft has caused me to give up on their initiative because of their required use of TFS.

TFS is a product with a lot of great potential - just needs some fine-tuning in my opinion :)

MichaelHlavinka
11-17-2006, 09:31 AM
I agree totally.

jcasal
04-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Hi Christopher,

I'm getting the exact same error that you are getting when trying to bind the InstallShield project to my TFS Source Control folder. I'm using InstallShield 12for Windows with SP1, but error still appears. I'm working with a InstallScript project, not a Basic MSI project.

Have you found any way to solve this? Is there any workaround I could use?

Thanks,
Julio

MichaelHlavinka
04-10-2007, 11:04 AM
You're running SP1 of Visual Studio and SP1 of Team Foundation as well? Properly installed so that all Visual Studio components (e.g., Visual Studio, Team Explorer, Premier Partner, etc.) were updated by the SP?

jcasal
04-10-2007, 11:11 AM
Yes, my client machine has VS 2005 SP1 + Installshield 12 SP1. My server machine has TFS SP1 as well.

I have tested the issue in 2 machines (one of them is the main server) and I still have the issue.

What can I do to solve it?

Thanks,
Julio

virtualbry
08-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Well, it took me te better part of the day, but I've rewired my build automation to use CoreCompile and the InstallShield targets instead of some home brewed plumbing. The Team Build / InstallShield integration is pretty nice.

Now, back to VSIP......

I'm getting an error when I attempt to bind my InstallShield Project to source control.....

I am getting the same error... same scenario... has anyone found a resolution?