PDA

View Full Version : LOST: Language Selection Dialog

Dean Michaud
07-07-2006, 03:14 PM
I am creating a new project with InstallShield 12 Premier Edition that requires multiple language support.

I have selected a handful of languages for the project, and when I first started working on the installer the language selection dialog had been popping up properly, but now it nowhere to be seen - it just runs in English mode without prompting me for a language.

Futhermore, if I remove English as being a language the Media supports and then make French the default I get an empty error dialog with just a single button and no text that appears and the installer fails miserably.

Does anyone know what may have gone wrong and possibly how to rectify it so that I get my language selection dialog to come back?

Thanks in advance,

Dean

RobertDickau
07-07-2006, 03:48 PM
As a first sanity check, if you run through the Release Wizard, is the option to display the language selection dialog box selected?

Dean Michaud
07-10-2006, 08:40 AM
I double-checked this morning, and it is set.

I'm fiddling with it again this morning, and so far I cannot undo whatever made the language selection dialog go away - I'm hoping there's a way around this. :confused:

RobertDickau
07-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Does anything change if you create a new release/build configuration?

Also, which project type are you using?

Dean Michaud
07-10-2006, 10:11 AM
I've created a new Media type and made it French-only, and I get a blank dialog that pops up with the red-X when I run the installshield; same goes with any other language I try to make it.

If I create a new project from scratch, the dialog does come up. And it was displaying itself for a while during the creation of this installer... but at some point on Friday I added files to existing components, created new ones, and created new features.

When you ask what project type, what do you mean? (I'll admit, I'm still learning the ropes)

The script I using it a procedural one (uses the "program" ... "endprogram"), and it has 6 seperate .rul files that are included by the main setup.rul.

The script I am basing this all on was originally written with version 7.X - I'm not doing an upgrade/import however, I'm creating the project from scratch and then using the rul files from the old project.

Dean Michaud
07-10-2006, 10:21 AM
RE project type: I am not doing an MSI installer, if this is what you were asking.

Dean Michaud
07-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Well, I don't usually speak to myself like this; but I may have found the root of my problem: "Setup.ini" on Disk1 of my Media. :confused:

When I remove it from the Media, the Select Language dialog comes back. I'm not currently sure as to why, but in case someone sees something I'm missing I'll paste the contents here; all product information has been removed for legal reasons:

--- CUT HERE --

[Startup]
AppName=Our App's Name Here
FreeDiskSpace=2000

[Version]
Install Type = Our Custom Install Type
Language = English
Build Number = 000000000
Install Build Number = 000000000-01

Dan Brown
11-13-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm currently dealing with the same issue and it has frustratingly cropped up many times for me over the past few months. I can have the Language Dialog appearing just fine and then change some small random thing (like say resizeing the static text area of a dialog or adding a file to a feature) and it just stops coming up. Then, if I (as far as I can tell) randomly change things and change them back (so no net change) I can get it to start working again. This anooying issue has cost me hours and of course always shows up when I'm ready to release the installer to be tested.

Any ideas as to the cause and how to avoid this issue would be GREAT!

Thanks,

Dan

Dean Michaud
11-14-2006, 10:24 AM
While I've not experienced what you describe directly, I have had some weird occurances with other aspects of Languages. Now that I seem to have things "working" in general, I am reluctant to make (m)any changes.

If I see anything on what you have described in the near future I'll make it a point to post it here.