PDA

View Full Version : Creating installer with a large database

Eric@SCT
07-07-2006, 11:12 AM
New users here, and somewhat new to Installshield.

My company's software package has a database that is nearly 2 GBs in size.

What are my options for creating a CD based installation?

Previously, we used WinRar to split the database and had a batch file that would put the files back together after installation, but this method has been giving us problems.

How can I have Installshield 11.5 split this large file into pieces over several disks and have it put back together on the customers PC all during the installation?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

DLee65
07-07-2006, 11:31 AM
InstallShield's release wizard will allow you to specify automatic disc spanning. You can also control such things as the disc size as well. The default for a CD-ROM release is 650 MB but often companys are using 700 MB media and thus you can increase the file size using a Custom deployment type. Just be sure to specify the correct block size as this makes a difference.

While DeLorme does distribute large setups, I do not recall us ever having to install a single file that exceeds the 2GB size. Most of our file sizes for data files are in the 500 - 700 file size.

Eric@SCT
07-07-2006, 12:45 PM
InstallShield's release wizard will allow you to specify automatic disc spanning. You can also control such things as the disc size as well. The default for a CD-ROM release is 650 MB but often companys are using 700 MB media and thus you can increase the file size using a Custom deployment type. Just be sure to specify the correct block size as this makes a difference.

While DeLorme does distribute large setups, I do not recall us ever having to install a single file that exceeds the 2GB size. Most of our file sizes for data files are in the 500 - 700 file size.

I do not see the "Release Wizard" or a disc spanning option, can you point me in the correct direction, is this something that is missing from Installshield 11.5 Express ?

DLee65
07-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Eric. Do you have a release view in Express? If so click on that. Next find your release listed there and right click on it and select the release wizard.

That is what I have to do in Professional and Premier to get to the release wizard. I am not sure about Express though.