PDA

View Full Version : problem in extracting icons from dll in shortcuts.

Prakash.m.n
07-06-2006, 01:56 AM
Hi,

I have an application created in Basic MSI project using IS12.
I am having few shortcuts which are behaving accordingly at runtime.
But I am facing a problem in Vista OS. The shortcut icons for some shortcuts are not displyed in the start-program menu. I used a dll to extract the icon. This works fine in WinXP but it will not be displyed in Vista OS.

Is there anything else i need to do for this ? any work around is there to overcome this issue ?

Thanks and regards
Prakash .M.N

Roxane Jager
07-07-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm seeing the same thing in my project converted from 11.5. I saw the same problem in 11.5 but hoped it would have been addressed in IS12. I'm running Vista build 5284 (32 bit). The system complains that Windows cannot find the file %SystemRoot%\Installer\{ProductGUID}\NewShortcut1{GUID2}.exe. Is this a Vista issue or InstallShield? When I poked around some more the message was that the file contained no icons. Hmm...

Stefan Krueger
07-14-2006, 04:16 AM
I know this problem from EXE files, I guess it's the same for DLLs. ICO file work however.
To me it looks like a InstallShield problem because other msi based setups (tested with Orca) work properly. It seems like the EXE (or DLL in your case) that InstallShield builds to hold the icon isn't recognized as valid executable by Vista.

joshstechnij
07-18-2006, 03:19 PM
It appears that Microsoft has resolved this issue in post-Beta 2 builds of Vista. In our testing, builds newer than Beta 2 do not experience this behavior with icons extracted from EXE or DLL files.

Note that for the icons to appear on the newer builds without the UAC shield overlay, you will need to use the attached _IsIcoRes.exe file. Make a backup copy of the existing located in \Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\Support, and replace with the version from the attached zip file. After replacing, rebuild your project.

JanSpeed
07-21-2006, 01:37 PM
I have the same Icon issue, but I'm using IS11.5 - Do you know if the support fix will work with 11.5?

joshstechnij
07-21-2006, 01:48 PM
The attached file was tested for IS 12, but the file is used as a resource container and doesn't do much outside of that, so it may work correctly with 11.5.

Note that the file fixes the shield overlay on shortcut icons; there is a separate issue with Vista Beta 2 that prevents the icons from appearing correctly. This should be fixed in newer builds of Vista.

JanSpeed
07-21-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks -

I downloaded the _IsIcoRes.exe and am now building using the IDE. Our SCM uses the Standalone Build, Do you know if this update do the trick for the StandAlone Build also?

joshstechnij
07-21-2006, 04:18 PM
This should work for the standalone build as it is not specific to the IDE.

Prakash.m.n
07-24-2006, 07:55 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the informations. It may help for us to resolve the icon issue in Vista.
I want one more clarification here, which build of Vista it is fixed ?.
I am using 5384 beta2 version. I want know in which version of Vista this issue has been fixed ?.

joshstechnij
07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
Build 5384 is the Beta 2 build of Vista. Microsoft has released newer builds to beta testers since the release of beta 2. If you have access to these builds, you should be able to test the icon issue.

wmansur
08-04-2006, 03:46 PM
We were having the same issue with the Desktop Icon not displaying properly on earlier Vista Beta2 builds. We just installed Vista Beta2 Ultimate, Build 5472 on a test PC. The correct icon now appears on the desktop for our product after installing it on that PC.

obrion
11-08-2006, 01:00 PM
I downloaded the referenced _IsIcoRes.exe and it does resolve the issue where the UAC Shield was shown for projects built from the InstallShield IDE. However, the UAC Shield still appears for a project built using Standalone Build version 12. Is there any way to correct this for the Standalone Build?

Bob O'Brion
AT&T Labs

JanSpeed
11-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Bob,

I had our SCM team update our build machines (which use standalone build) and the icons turned out OK. Not sure of the location of _IsIcoRes.exe in the standalone environement.

Note that often build machines use a base image, that will need updating.

Good luck - JanSpeed

joshstechnij
11-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Standalone build uses the same _IsIcoRes.exe file. It is located in the root of the standalone build folder tree. You should be able to replace the file the same as your IDE machine and then rebuild from standalone build.

obrion
11-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Ah ha! Right you are. There are 2 copies, one just for Standalone Build. Should have known that.

Thanks!

Bob O.

craigmiller
09-29-2007, 07:48 PM
It appears that Microsoft has resolved this issue in post-Beta 2 builds of Vista. In our testing, builds newer than Beta 2 do not experience this behavior with icons extracted from EXE or DLL files.

Note that for the icons to appear on the newer builds without the UAC shield overlay, you will need to use the attached _IsIcoRes.exe file. Make a backup copy of the existing located in \Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\Support, and replace with the version from the attached zip file. After replacing, rebuild your project.

I'm running an Installshield 10.5 on top of Vista and receiving the error:
-3204: Cannot extract icon with index 0 from file c:\vault\OverlandNavigator\OverNav\Release\OverNav.exe for icon _A8D245F41E914FE68B19C58ED930D59E.exe

I've updated my _IsIcoRes.exe file with the one you attached and am still receiving the same error. Any other suggestions?

Using regular .ico files seems to result in the same problem. The good news is that if I build on an XP box, the build works and the installer works under Vista with no trouble.