PDA

View Full Version : Agent.exe update service --> C runtime error

lansdale
07-02-2006, 07:28 AM
Hi

I've just upgraded from Developer 8 to IS-Pro 12. The only problem is that the IS update service on my machine (installshield\updateservice\agent.exe) pops up a dialog box every few minutes with a C Runtime Error. I couldn't find any mention of this in the IS12 forums. Any suggestions?

jalafa
07-05-2006, 07:25 AM
Hi
Same thing here.
Installed IS12-pro (upgrade) on Win XP sp 2 with both IE and Firefox on it. Searched IS KB and tried to apply the workaround suggested ("isuspm.exe /regserver ...) but no success. It's poping up the error even after I un-install Update Service. Reinstalling it from download doesn't fixing the problem. And yes, I am logged as a administrator. Very frustrating.

tslavens
10-23-2006, 05:29 PM
I have the same problem with IS Pro 12 on Win2000. I killed the ISUSPM.exe process and removed the three registry entries starting with "ISUS" from the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ registry key to avoid having to manually kill that process when I reboot. The downside is that I won't be automatically notified of IS updates.

Tangentially, I had some (minimal) hope that MacroVision might improve the uneven quality of IS. The fact that this problem persists nearly 4 months after your posts is not a good indicator...

drawinghand
11-07-2006, 10:42 PM
I can't believe this is still a problem. I just upgraded to IS 12 Express and I now get and error dialog every 30 minutes or so. It popped up while I was typing this. VERY DISAPPOINTING.

Charlieh
11-08-2006, 09:18 AM
I too have had this VERY annoying problemette. Glad to know it's not isolated to my pc!

drawinghand
11-09-2006, 12:38 AM
I feel I'm wasting my time typing here. I'm going to look into an alternate solutions like WISE! :mad:

Yossem
12-04-2006, 06:04 AM
Hello,

This topic is old, but i recently installed IS12 and i have the same problem.
My config is XP sp2 with IS7.0 (can influence ???). I also have Visual Studio 6 and Visual Studio 2005.

I hope that a IS developper will watch this forum and gave us a quick answer to our recurent problem...

Best regards
Steff

Yossem
02-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Always the same problem, and always the same answear : nothing...
Thank you Macrovision for your help :mad:
Installshield was better with version 6.3 pro.

jjmixman
03-05-2007, 10:14 AM
I second that. The UI for Installscript projects in IS12 is much inferior to 6.3 Pro - lots of things you used to be able to do directly now have to be done through release wizard. The only reason I continue using it is because it has differential patch technology.

Meanwhile, I've just installed Corel X3 which uses ISUPM to update. Only my IS update manager is bust as above (and therefore forcefully disabled through registry hacks) so now how do I go about updating my Corel X3 to the latest service pack!!!

Surely someone from Macrovision is watching this thread and will comment??? Hopes....

Yossem
03-05-2007, 10:27 AM
I recently send an email to Macrovision regarding this bug.
Here is the answear :
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for contacting Macrovision Technical Support.

Our records indicate that you do not own a valid support plan. We can assist you with this issue today if you would like to purchase an annual support or per-incident plan.

To obtain an annual support plan go to http://shop.installshield.com/home/default.asp? or contact a Product Sales Consultant:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Is this correct ? this is a crash due to an update service and to reply and help me, Macrovision want me to sign for a maintenance plan. That's not very serious.

jjmixman
03-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Quite!

I fixed my Corel problem by downloading the updates from their site. So much for IS update service.

How I'm supposed to update Installshield I'm not sure.

Thankfully, we wrote our own update manager for our own product!!!

jjmixman
03-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Will someone from Macrovision please comment on this problem???

Perhaps if we all post everyday about the appauling/non-existant level of support then someone will take some notice.

Yossem
02-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi guys,

Always the same F****n issue.
You know what, Macrovision have nothing to do about this issue. Recently, i downladed a 2008 IS Pro trial version. I install it on my computer, and i start it. The firs message that pop up on the screen was the same big bullshit of runtime error with agent.exe.

Macrovision take care of his customers, that's great.
I will propbably migrate to another installer, if i can find one.

Yossem

szetty
03-05-2008, 03:42 AM
Hi All!
We've got an issue that our update server gets too many hits. Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce the problem. I think that the root of the problem is the same as yours. So would you be so kind and write down your configuration, that has these problems? I need to know the version, and date of the agent.exe, update manager, c-runtime version, os version. Probably it will help us eliminate the problem.
Thanks in advance.
Szetty

Yossem
03-05-2008, 03:58 AM
Hello

My OS is Win XP pro 32 SP2
On this computer there is all dev tools from microsoft : visual studio 6, visual studio 2005, framework 1.1, 2.0 and 3.0
Agent.exe version is 6.0.100.65101 date : march 20, 2006.
isuspm.exe version : 6.0.100.65101 data : august 30, 2007.

installshield version : 11 premium edition.

I also have the same problem with installshield 2008 trial.

best regards
Yossem

szetty
03-05-2008, 05:43 AM
Thanks, I will check it.

szetty
03-05-2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks I will check it.

szetty
03-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce neither your, nor our problem.
Thanks for all.

Yossem
03-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Hello

This issue is very strange. I'm not alone to report such a problem.
I have same problem on two computers.
These computers are both up to date. There is ie 7 installed, if this can help.

I hope we can find a solution to solve this issue.

Yossem

GetExp
03-13-2008, 04:27 AM
Anyone can post the screenshot of the error?

Yossem
03-13-2008, 04:50 AM
Hello,

here is screens capture of error message :

screen 1 (http://team.phoenix.free.fr/forum/is12/is_12_pr01.jpg)

And what i have done with msconfig tool in start tab. I have deactivated isuspm starting instance.

screen 2 (http://team.phoenix.free.fr/forum/is12/is_12_pr02.jpg)

Yossem

GetExp
03-17-2008, 06:09 AM
Did you uncheck the issch (disable) entries too in the configuration? Please be careful when using this utility as it is an advanced Windows utility

IF you haven't tried go to InstallShield12 > Options > Update > choose "never" checks for update

Did you check this

http://knowledge.macrovision.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q112185&sliceId=

Yossem
03-18-2008, 02:57 AM
Hello GetExp

I havent an issch entry in my msconfig.
I have also choose never for is12 update and isuspm.exe always crash.

I have check your link and it doesnt fix the issue.

Yossem

Hitec-QA
04-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Our Installshield box has many versions installed and is used for all of our current products. Unfortunately it has been continually accessing the internet, possibly trying to finish the last update I asked it to do. The IT Dept have complained that it has been making more accesses than the rest of the company combined for some days now. I stalled them by asking how to fix it. That was very satisfying - thankyou Installshield.
It seems almost as if the whole updater thang had got itself confused about versions and licenses or something. It all came to a head when I started swapping between versions, turning the update option to NEVER EVER EVER EVER AGAIN, when up came a 'You'll have to wait 20 minutes unless you give us an extra license key now' message and the old, unfinished update started off again (on a different version) from where it had left off a week ago.
It's a lot like life really.
I must go now, the company post-combat stress therapist has arrived with my tablets.

Hitec-QA
04-07-2008, 05:44 AM
Now, whenever I start InstallShield 12, Installshield attempts to install that update I attempted - InstallShield 12 SP2 With OCI Hotfix.
And it wants a CD-ROM disk!
So I keep clicking CANCEL until it shuts up.

Is this all the result of out-sourceing?

scroyder
04-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Hi, have just finally had enough of leaving this message on all day, so I thought I'd check out some forums. Unbelievable that this has been going on for so long.

I have experienced all of the problems that Yossem has, and have received the same reply from Macrovision, but I feel that the price our company paid for 2 licenses should well cover a little bit of help from the source, especially since they seem to be ignoring everyone with this issue.

I'm using 2008 and I keep the "Check for Updates" on because the Never option didn't stop the error as previously reported. Another of our computers is Vista and it doesn't get the error.

At least it the error can sit in the background. You get used to after a couple of years.