PDA

View Full Version : MSBuild tasks documentation

janakp
06-30-2006, 02:24 PM
Is there any documentation for MSBuild tasks that come in MacroVision.InstallShield.Tasks.dll? I couldn't find anything other than some very basic comments in the targets file & the .isproj files.

I'm trying to figure out how I can configure source file, primary output, etc. paths for automated builds and continuous integration.

MichaelU
06-30-2006, 04:03 PM
While there are indeed some rudimentary comments in the provided scripts, your best bet is to look in the provided documentation. I got good results searching http://support.installshield.com/ for MSBuild. If instead you're looking for more information on how to use MSBuild itself, please refer to Microsoft's documentation on MSDN and/or the MSBuild team blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/msbuild/default.aspx).

Christopher Painter
11-07-2006, 10:24 PM
I think we need a good white paper showing the best practices of wiring up an install to Team Build via MSBUILD. Of particular interest ( to me atleast ) is including all of the points of variability that sabld supports and extending the task to perform other common tasks such as updating the ProductVersion property.

Christopher Painter
11-08-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm still trying to figure out what the various property names are and specifically how to pass the MSM location.

There seems to be some mistakes in the help file. The MSBUILD topic says that the property names are:

ProductConfiguration
ReleaseConfiguration
MergeModulePath

But in reality passing these with msbuild /p don't work. Instead these two work:

InstallShieldProductConfiguration
InstallShieldRelease

I've tried InstallShieldMergeModulePath but it doesn't work.

MichaelU
11-08-2006, 12:28 PM
It looks like you're seeing the conflict between the documentation for the InstallShield task, and the (lack of) documentation for the Macrovision.InstallShield.targets file. The documentation is designed around the idea that you may want to write your own direct invocation of the InstallShield task rather than the (somewhat limited) targets file. The latter maps the safe property name InstallShieldXYZ to the InstallShield task's XYZ property (give or take). Does that help clear up at least the naming inconsistency?

Christopher Painter
11-08-2006, 01:36 PM
Yes, except I don't see how to pass the MergeModulesPath because it's an ItemGroup instead of a Property.

I think it doesn't matter though. It looks like I'm going to write my own wrapper for sabld and skip the VS integration. Now I'm having fun wiring up Team Builds and overriding functionality in the Microsoft targets.

Fun fun fun.