PDA

View Full Version : Component Destination Permissions

cnegrila
06-29-2006, 11:37 AM
I need to give full access permissions to all the users on the target machine to a particular set of files that I install as a component (in a Basic MSI project). However in the Permissions dialog box (when I try to set the Component's Destination Permissions) I need to enter a "Domain" and a "User" to assign the Permissions to.

Does anyone know what I would need to enter in those two fields (Domain and User) to assign this set of permissions to all the users on the computer?

Thanks!

TsungH
06-30-2006, 04:20 AM
If you have not, please refer to File and Directory Lock Permissions (http://helpnet.macrovision.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installshield12helplib/IDlgFileDirPermissions.htm).

cnegrila
06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Yes, I did RTFM first, but the documentation was somewhat sparse, if not misleading (both IS and the MSI section in MSDN). You would think based on the docs that you should put [%USERDOMAIN] for Domain and Everyone for User, but this failed during install: User Everyone not found on this computer or something like that.

The "undocumented" workaround that I found digging in other older IS threads is to leave the Domain empty, and put Everyone for User. This seems to be working fine. :)

looeee
07-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Yes that is correct
but
I have found that in some corporate environments the Everyone user does not work.
Instead I add the permissions for both Users and Administrators which always works

looeee