PDA

View Full Version : shortcut replacement in maintenance mode??

tsdico
06-28-2006, 05:17 PM
I've got a basic MSI with 2 components having no files in them. The only thing they contain are shortcuts (desktop and start menu).

when I run in maintenance mode (user picks modify), all of my properties are correct and the logic looks good, but the 'new' shortcut doesn't get installed.

also, a registry entry doesn't get updated.

HOWEVER - if I run in reinstall mode (user picks repair) the 'new' shortcuts are installed and the registry is updated.

any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong? is there some mode setting I have to turn on to get maintenance to pick up the changes?

thanks!
Tom

TsungH
06-28-2006, 10:53 PM
That's the expected behavior. Modify is to add features that are not already installed and remove features that are already installed. Repair is to reinstall features that are already installed.

tsdico
06-29-2006, 10:37 AM
okay... but that's what I'm trying to do..

I'm trying to remove an installed shortcut and replace it with a different one, as well as change a registry setting...

the registry setting I could just do via a CA, but how would I change the shortcut?

or would I move the shortcuts/registry components to separate features?

tsdico
06-29-2006, 01:39 PM
okay - I've moved my components into individual features.
I've added a condition to each feature.

still, only the one feature is installed regardless of the condition during the modify...

it seems to not be using my public property in the condition (the <> 1 is always true, regardless of what I set it to... implying to me that its treating the property as an unknown)

help?

TsungH
06-30-2006, 04:40 AM
I still don't see what you are doing, and why. For the behavior on feature, this ancient thread (http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=139111) will shed some light.
okay - I've moved my components into individual features.
I've added a condition to each feature.

still, only the one feature is installed regardless of the condition during the modify...

it seems to not be using my public property in the condition (the <> 1 is always true, regardless of what I set it to... implying to me that its treating the property as an unknown)

help?

tsdico
07-06-2006, 05:32 PM
well, I fixed it by using brute force - I moved the 2 components (which are empty except for 2 shortcuts each) into separate features.

I then added an installscript CA that selects/deselects each feature based on a public property setting - I call this CA when the user clicks InstallNow on the ReadyToInstall dialog

works like a charm

-- the original intent is: if the user decides to later modify a setting by rerunning the setup, then the shortcut for the application has to change - so I'm just replacing it (basically it points to 1 of 2 .exe's that we install)