PDA

View Full Version : Identifying Windows Vista in SYSINFO structure

Sorenhes
06-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Hello,

Since IS 12 is "Vista ready", how do we identify, using the SYSINFO structure, when our setup is running on Vista ?

On the same note, in the Operating systems property of a component there is no way to choose Vista. If I want to filter by OS and have specific files installed on Vista only there seems to be no way to do it.

All suggestions are welcomed,

Regards,

Robert

RobertDickau
06-28-2006, 08:45 AM
For an InstallScript project, I see "Windows Vista" in the Operating Systems list (at the end of the list) for a component.

And it doesn't seem to have made it into the SYSINFO help topic, but perhaps try comparing the nISOSL member to ISOSL_WINVISTA?

Sorenhes
06-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Hello Robert,

I have the trial version of IS 12 installed on a WinXp machine. I migrated a IS 7.01 project to IS 12 and it is in that project that I don't see Windows Vista in Operating systems property of my components.

Regards,

Robert

Sorenhes
06-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Hello,

I've found out why. In the Project settings of the migrated project I have to select Windows Vista in the Platforms tab. Once selected it shows up in the Operating systems property list.

Regards,

Robert

DebbieL
09-19-2006, 04:18 PM
The SYSINFO structure was updated in InstallShield 12 with Windows Vista information; unfortunately, the InstallShield 12 documentation was not updated. This has been logged as issue IOC-000053480.

Here's what was added in InstallShield 12:

SYSINFO.WINNT.bWinVista was added. If this member is TRUE, the operating system is Windows Vista (or Windows Server code name "Longhorn"). To distinguish between Windows Server "Longhorn" and Windows Vista, check whether SYSINFO.nOSProductType = VER_NT_WORKSTATION; for Windows Vista, this is TRUE; for Windows Server "Longhorn," it is FALSE.

In addition, ISOSL_WINVISTA is now available for SYSINFO.nISOSL. It is also available for the nOS parameter of FeatureFilterOS. Note that as with SYSINFO.WINNT.bWinVista, the installation considers Windows Server "Longhorn" to be the same as Windows Vista; thus, components that are marked for Windows Vista are installed on Windows Server "Longhorn." This will be addressed in a future release.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

ChrisMontora
11-29-2006, 10:14 AM
Is there any way to differentiate between Vista and Longhorn in 11.5?

DebbieL
11-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Hmm. Did you try checking for a value of 6 for SYSINFO.nWinMajor? That would mean the target system has either Windows Vista or Windows Server Longhorn. SYSINFO.nWinMinor would be 0.

You'd also want to check to see if the value of SYSINFO.nOSProductType is VER_NT_WORKSTATION. (If that's true, the target system has Windows Vista; if it's false, the target system has Windows Server Longhorn.)

As another alternative, you might be able to check the registry, as the following thread shows:
http://community.installshield.com/showthread.php?t=162055

I hope that helps.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation