PDA

View Full Version : Setup process hangs around for 10 seconds after install

Taytay
06-26-2006, 04:07 PM
My installation appears by all intents and purposes to be complete, yet the setup process lingers in the task manager for approx. 10 seconds. This would not be as big of an issue, but another installation is calling it via DoInstall, so it waits until the process is complete, which makes the calling installation take MUCH longer than it should. This is an upgraded project from 11 if that makes any difference. Any help or shots in the dark would be appreciated. I'm making a fresh install now to see if it does the same thing.

Taytay
06-26-2006, 04:29 PM
This appears to be related to single-exe installations. Normal installations (that are not compressed to a single exe) are fine, and the setup process exits immediately as it should.

DanBlock
08-21-2007, 04:04 PM
I have this same problem. Not sure what is causing it, but it is sure annoying to see something wait around long after it appears to be done.

Any ideas how to fix this? Some pre-processor directives? Is there any kind of single-exe release that isn't plagued by this?

Jyrki75
01-15-2008, 06:00 AM
I encountered the same problem:
Using "InstallShield2008 Professional" I created the most simple InstallScript project (default settings, added just 2 dummy files to be installed).

When creating and running the standard Cabinet file output, everything goes fine.

But, when creating a "single-exe image" and running that, the setup still works, but after the setup finished the process ("MySingleExe.exe") is still visible in Windows Task Manager for about 30-40s.

This is not so much of a problem if the setup is run separately, but this setup is called by another setup (a "master setup") and this master setup waits (-->LaunchAppAndWait) until the sub-setup finishes and I can't let the user wait 30-40s until the master setup continues.

Any ideas ? What can delay a single-exe Setup from shutting down its process ?
Thanks for your help !
J├╝rgen

worker-g
04-04-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm getting the same above. Any one know whats going on here or a work around??

worker-g
04-06-2008, 11:30 PM
Any one know if this is a known issue with Installshield with no workaround? Its urgent that I get this fixed.

scoder
04-07-2008, 11:38 AM
Again, I come to the rescue. But only on a slightly spotted horse.

We have solved that problem in the stuff I've inherited. But we're using Win32 API calls to CreateEvent, WaitForSingleObject, and OpenEvent, SetEvent, CloseHandle.

You see, we are creating an event signal from the uninstaller and signalling it, at the very end of the uninstall script. Meanwhile, in the installer, after launching the uninstaller, the installer blocks on listening for that signal. Each script assigns the signal a particular name that only they know about.

Doing so shaves the unwanted 10 seconds off the uninstall time, and also protects against a technically potential situation where the process it waits on exits but leaves a child process dangly to do the dirty work.

We don't consider it a hack, but rather systems level programming.

worker-g
04-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Hmm. My case happens on install and ONLY with a single exe package. The process actually hangs out in the task manager for a good 30-45 secs after hitting "finish" on the installer. before it disappears.

I have a feeling that time is used to cleanup anything used by the single exe package.

avladescu
11-24-2009, 04:43 AM
Hello worker-g,

did you find a solution for your problem?
I have the same problem, the process hangs in the task manager for about 1 minute after hitting "finish" button.

Many thanks