PDA

View Full Version : How to make Custom Object Install like its own Program?

Taytay
06-23-2006, 07:12 PM
We have a small program that we need to ship with each of our separate products. The user only needs to have this installed on his/her machine once, but each of our main products require it. I made my object, set everything up, and see that the program's files are being installed. However, my custom object's files are being installed and uninstalled as if they are components of the main install, when this actually isn't what I want.

How can I make my inner object install as its own product?

Many thanks for any help.

g.noyer
06-26-2006, 09:42 AM
You just need to declare the components as "shared"

Taytay
06-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Thank you for this thip. Unfortunately, after doing some thinking about this, I don't think it's possible to do what I want. I was hoping that this was the proper way to "nest" an entire installation. After examining the object in Installshield Designer, it's obvious that it is not a full-fledged install. It doesn't allow me to add shortcuts for example, even though I need to. I realize now tha the objects were meant to be ways to share components of other installs, but that's about it. I think I'm better off making an entire other full-fledged installation and then calling it from the parent installer at install time. If I'm thinking about this the wrong way, someone please feel free to stop me! :)

Many thanks.