PDA

View Full Version : Setup Design View Usability

Christopher Painter
06-21-2006, 02:15 PM
I noticed that you can drag a component from one feature to another. I also noticed that you can `copy` a component from one feature to another. The component is cloned but keeps the same files and directory. This is an ICE02 violation.

It seems that the correct copy behavior should be to assoicate the component to both the original and new feature. If it really is a copy then the files perhaps there should be some kind of message to the user explaining why its a problem.

Christopher Painter
06-21-2006, 02:24 PM
I see another wierd bug. When I remove the keyfile from NewComponent2 ( the copy ) and add a new file ( but don't set it to be the keyfile ) then validation still shows:

ICE02 Error File: 'boot.ini' not found in File table. Component KeyPath NewComponent2

As soon as I set my new file to keyfile I get a message saying that I already have a keyfile. If I say yes my validation error goes away.

How come NewComponent2's keyfile is still boot.ini even after I delete it? The directory should be the keyfile.

MichaelU
06-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Looking at what's happening via the Direct Editor, I'd say it's a little weirder than that. At least for me, data on the component is moved to the "cloned" component, but not everything is fully cleaned up from this move. In particular both components 1 and 2 had the keypath set, although only component 2 actually had the file. I'm not totally sure what's going on.

But I agree, the ideal behavior would be to just act like a shortcut for associating multiple components. I've submitted WO IOC-000051283 to track this issue.