PDA

View Full Version : InstallShield Professional

leivazer
06-20-2006, 11:52 PM
I'm actually trying to do installation of 10 to 20 programs onto a computer using InstallShield Professional. I was able to build installation and complete the installation. But what i actually wanted was when i click on the START button ==> PROGRAMS which all the 10 to 20 programs would be already been there ready to be use and shouldn't need to do installations for those programs again. I do understand there some scripts needed but what kind of scripts and perhaps, could send me some HELP for scripts for the function that i was trying to execute.

DebbieL
06-21-2006, 08:31 AM
Did you try using the Shortcuts view in your installation project? If I understand your requirements correctly, I would think that you would not need to create any script. You could go to the Shortcuts view (it's in the View List under System Configuration). Then right-click the Programs Menu node in the center pane and click the type of shortcut that you want to add.

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

leivazer
06-22-2006, 04:24 AM
I tried the solution which you gave me on my computer for the installation but it's not what i wanted because when i click the START button ==> PROGRAMS==> it only display those 10 to 20 software programs which i still need to click on them and do the installation for each & everyone. I know that InstallShield Professional is able to do the installation where the programs are already to be used.

Example like a setup file or zip file which is the program named MySQL. After the installation done by InstallShield Professional, it should be click the START button ==> PROGRAMS==>then MySQL which can be use without having to do another installation for that software program separately.

I really hope you are able to understand my requirements correctly, hope to get a reply from you soon. thanks!

DebbieL
06-23-2006, 08:13 AM
When you create the shortcuts in the Shortcuts view, what value are you using for each shortcut's Target setting? Are you setting that value to the path of the installation? Or to the path of the executable file that you want to launch in order to start one of the applications?

Which files did you add in the Files and Folders view? Did you add all of the applications' files? Or did you add .zip files and other installations for those applications?

Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

leivazer
06-27-2006, 03:39 AM
Your Question:When you create the shortcuts in the Shortcuts view, what value are you using for each shortcut's Target setting?

My Answer:New Shortcut, New Advertised Shortcut & New Shortcut to Preexisting file. I chose 1 of the shortcut's Target setting for the 3 Application files. The 3 Application files are actually software programs, when you click on them they will do the installation to the computer which i was trying to do 10-20 software programs using InstallShield Professional just 1 application file when i click on it will automatic do the installation of all the programs.

Your Question:Are you setting that value to the path of the installation?

My Answer:Sorry, i don't get what you are trying to say... what value are you refering to?

Your Question:Or to the path of the executable file that you want to launch in order to start one of the applications?

My Answer:Path of the executable file that you want to launch in order to start one of the applications.

Your Question:Which files did you add in the Files and Folders view?

My Answer:The files are j2sdk-1_4_2_08-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe, setup-1.27.exe & Setup.exe.

Your Question: Did you add all of the applications' files?

My Answer:Yes, i added 3 applications files. These are the names :- j2sdk-1_4_2_08-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe, setup-1.27.exe & Setup.exe.

Your Question:Or did you add .zip files and other installations for those applications?

My Answer:I'm not sure but these are the files i added :- j2sdk-1_4_2_08-windows-i586-p-iftw.exe, setup-1.27.exe & Setup.exe.