PDA

View Full Version : .NET installation prereq. downloadable 32 and 64 bit install

danielj24
06-19-2006, 03:09 AM
OK, i have a vs2k5 .NET (vb.net 2.0) application im trying to deliver.
Target machines will be XP and above 32 or 64 bit.

I am a pretty competent programmer so i thought i could figure this out but i cannot seem to locate setting up the prerequisites i need for .net and have a timeline to deal with. I need sleep at this point!

My ultimate goal is to have ONE install file (.exe) that checks the endusers machine for OS version and then downloads the prerequisites from the internet (dotnetfx and netfx64) depending on what they need. I would also like the installer to be usable in Vista as well. What kind of method do i start with? is there a way to distribute this how i want to? Sorry this is so many questions here, but as a newcomer to IS i have searched the forums for the answers but cannot pinpoint my these answers.

bryanwolf
06-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Firstly, which project type are you using (Basic MSI, InstallScript, InstallScript MSI)? This is what we'll need to help you out and get you going :)

danielj24
06-19-2006, 11:06 AM
well that is what i am not sure of. are they all capable of performing the steps i needed? mainly the downloadable .net requirements for 32bit and 64bit systems.

i would prefer a basic MSI as i do have ..some.. experience with it. mostly just vb6 though and requirements are simplistic.

thanks for the response.

if i open IS12 and choose Basic MSI project. what steps do i take to include the requirement?

bryanwolf
06-19-2006, 02:39 PM
As described in the below document, Microsoft reccomends that 32-bit installations contain only 32-bit components. For a 64-bit installation, you are free to intermix 32-bit and 64-bit components.

Thus, if you intend to create a package that will install on 32-bit operating systems, you will need to generate a unique product code and package code for the 32-bit installation and for the 64-bit installation.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/msi/setup/using_64-bit_windows_installer_packages.asp

jeffr@newhartsy
06-23-2006, 10:36 AM
I need the same exact thing ! Installshield should have some way of configuring which .net 2.0 runtime is required (x64 x32, IA64, etc.)

What I want to have done is if the OS is 64 bit, install the correct 64 bit .net runtime, otherwise install the 32 bit runtime. My .net application is the same exact executable for 32 bit and 64 bit. We don't want to package up a different msi file (in setup.exe) for 32 bit and 64 bit, even if we could.

InstallShield has to resolve this !

Frenchy
05-01-2007, 02:03 PM
has there been any updated from InstallShield on this? Does anyone have a link for downloadable prerequistes for 32 bit and 64 bit .Net installs?

PilotBob
05-01-2007, 02:09 PM
has there been any updated from InstallShield on this? Does anyone have a link for downloadable prerequistes for 32 bit and 64 bit .Net installs?

No, but authoring pre-reqs isn't difficult... you could do it yourself.

Or do you mean you want IS to download the installer if the pre-req is needed? I think there was a thread about this and putting in a feature request for it.

Bob

Frenchy
05-01-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply. It looks like I will do it myself, I just was not sure what command line arguments I should be passing. In a prior Install script I was passing something like this for the x86 .Net install...

/q:a /c:\"install /q\"

Now I need to remove this from the script, and add a pre-rec for each of the two version of .net. I need to know if I should be adding this command line to each pre-rec. Do you know if the above should be passed on both x86 and x64? Thanks for your help.

PilotBob
05-01-2007, 02:23 PM
/q:a /c:\"install /q\"

It's a good bet, but I would only be quessing. If you try to run the install with a /? does it give you a list of command like options?