PDA

View Full Version : Creating shortcut in All Users folder

ukpete
06-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Hi.

Just started using 11.5 express and I'm frustrated that there is no (obvious) ability to create a shortcut in All Users directory.

Tried googling this and found something about the ALLUSERS property in Property Manager but how do I find this?? Have I got the right App???

I just downloaded a trial version of Installshield 11.5 Express to try out making a couple of packages. It's working great except for this rather annoying inability. Do I need a different version???

Please help!

ukpete.

lakshmanaprakas
06-16-2006, 06:48 AM
Hi ukpete

Try passing the property "ALLUSERS=2" as a command line parameter to the msi. Also, make sure that the user has administrative privilege.

Cheers
Lakshman

pramodhc9
07-20-2006, 05:43 AM
I am using Installsheild 10.5 . How to set the ALLUSERS through the command line.Is there any option in the installsheild editor it self to set the same.

regards
Pramodh C

RickRoth
10-05-2006, 12:46 PM
I have seen some quirks in the behavior of setup builds around this same requirement.

When in the "Specify Application Data -> Files" area of Designer, right click on the "Destination Computer" label and select "Show Predefined Folder". Click on [AllUsersProfile] in the list. Once it is in the Destination Computer tree, right click on [ALLUSERPROFILE] and select Add. Rename the folder "Start Menu", right click on Start Menu and Add "Programs", right click on Programs and add the folder name of your choice. After the tree is created you can drag the desired menu files into that folder.

There should be a more friendly way to do this, for one there is a predefined folder for StartMenuFolder and DesktopFolder that should have the ability to nest them in the [ALLUSERPROFILE], but I haven't found a way to do that. And in addition to that, when I execute the created setup, it insists on still creating a folder in the UserProfile specific to who is logged on. It kicks out an error at install time that the shortcuts can not be written to this folder. There is no place that I have told it to write to this folder. This has been most frustrating and time consuming...

If anyone has a more elegant solution, please let us know.