PDA

View Full Version : Newbe trying to install SQL 2k5 Express and .NET Framework

LSyracuse
06-13-2006, 05:36 PM
I gave up on the MSDE2000 install for now, and have moved on to SQL2k5 Express. I'm not a complete newbee - I have done a couple basic installs in version 10 (including MSDE), but nothing fancy.

I created a new build in version 12 with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express as a prerequisite. Built ok but wouldn't run on my test system (XP sp 1) because of the Windows Installer version. I downloaded it from Micro$oft and ran the exe on that machine, problem solved (are there any objects to add to my IS project for Windows installer 3.1?).

Now it stops saying it needs the .NET 2.0 runtime. Not a surprise, I was actually expecting it. But I can't find the .NET runtimes anywhere in InstallSheild. I did find it under <tools> <Redistributable Downloader> and downloaded it that way - but it still doesn't show up as an object under Redistributables. Even after a reboot. When I go back into the Redistributable Downloader it shows up but is greyed out and I can't select it again.

Do I need to have the user run the Windows installer 3.1 program manually, or can I include it in my project somehow?

Do I need to have the user run the .NET setup program before before running my installer, or can that be set in the IS project to run before the SQL Server 2005 Express Prerequisite runs?

I need to make this as clean and simple for the users as I can. Some users we'll be dealing with don't know the difference between a right-click and a left-click on the mouse, much less what a Windows Installer or SA Password is... ;)

Thanks for reading, and for any assistance/direction you can provide.

Lou

MichaelU
06-14-2006, 09:29 AM
InstallShield projects deliver both Windows Installer and the .NET Framework through options on your release. You can set it up either through the Release Wizard, or the options on the Release grid for a given release. You can also optionally craft your own prerequisites for installing either of these.

LSyracuse
06-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Ahh... There they are. :)

Strange thing is first time I ran the new install on a clean machine I got errors installing SQL 2005 Express. So I wiped the machine and restored the same backup I had run before and it installed perfectly.

When installing the first time Then SQL 2005 Express starts to install. The prerequisites installed ok. System report was ok, it meets the specs.

then comes up with an error saying:

An installation package for the product Microsft SQL Server Native Client can not be found. Try the installation again using a valid copy of the installation package 'sqlncli.msi'

I'm going to test on other machines now, but I think I'm on the right track now. Thanks for the assist!

Lou Syracuse
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Merle Norman Cosmetics
Los Angeles, CA

jbowser
07-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Yes, this thread is a year past, but I thought I'd post this for anyone else that ran into this problem...

See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910229

If the SQL Server Native Client already exists on the machine, it could cause a SQL Express install to fail. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it can cause a failed install. The solution is to uninstall the existing Native Client.

I would call this a work around rather than a solution, but it's the only resolution I've seen Microsoft provide.