PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - Newbie

balagopal
06-13-2006, 01:34 AM
Hi all,

I am a new comer to this field and I just completed installing the InstallShield 12-Professional Edition.I am working in a j2ee environment.so could any one tell me how to package one of my web applications which requires installing java,apache tomcat,mysql database and also copying my application to the tomcat server and also can i make these installations in to predefined folders etc...or could any one plz refer me some useful websites or tutorials from where i could try to learn the process.Plz respond to this mail
Thanks in advance

Rgds
Balagopal.

Chandima
06-14-2006, 12:35 PM
That's a pretty tall order for a new-comer :D.

You are only targetting Windows platforms right? If you plan to run the install on non-windows machines then you need to look in to our Universal product.

Assuming you are targetting Windows platforms only, your best approach might be to use the Setup Prerequisites feature to install Java, Tomcat and MySQL. Setup Prerequisites are the recomended way of installing 3rd party software using the redistributables provided by the vendor itself. InstallShield already provides Setup Prerequisites for Java 1.4 and 1.5. Just go to the "Redistributables" view and select the "Java 2 Standard Edition Runtime..." option and you're all set (for the JRE)!

You will now have to create your own Setup Prerequisites for MySQL and Tomcat. You can download the redistributables for them from http://tomcat.apache.org/ and http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html.

Here is a brief introduction to creating a setup prerequisite:
1. Launch the Prerequisite Editor by going to "Tools->Prerequisite Editor" from the main menu.
2. In the "Files to Include" tab press "Add" and add the MySQL redistributable. Ignore the URL field on the preceeding dialog for now. I highly reccomend that you create separate redistributables for Tomcat and MySQL.
3. Go to "Application to Run" tab and select the file you just added in the combo box. Specify any command lines if necessary.
4. Go to File->Save As and save with a meaningful name in "C:\Program Files\Macrovision\IS12\SetupPrerequisites" (end-users will see the name you specify here).
5. Close the Editor.
6. Open your project in the Editor and go to "Redistributables" view.
7. Select the prerequisite you created above.
8. Select the JRE prerequisite you want.
9. Build.
10. Install on a clean machines.
This should TECHNICALLY install both Java and MySQL on the machine. You can then tweak your pre-requisites by adding conditions and return codes (to handle reboots, etc). Repeat by creating a prerequisite for Tomcat.

Once you have the above working, take a look at the "SQL Scripts" view. You can specify a sql script and connection information for your MySQL database. This will let you add tables and data to your newly installed MySQL database.

Then take a look at the "XML File Changes" view. I am pretty sure that Tomcat can be configured by editing xml files (Server.xml?). So this view should let you customize the Tomcat install to your needs.

Hope this helps! Please keep us posted on your progress.

Christopher Painter
06-14-2006, 01:47 PM
My experience with TomCat is you just drop your WAR file in the TomCat folder and your WebApp will autoconfigure itself.