PDA

View Full Version : MSDE2000 - won't install DTC

LSyracuse
06-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I am running the eval of InstallSheild Pro 12.

Using the new version I can not get the MSDE2000 component to install the the Distributed Transaction Coordinator in a basic MSI Project. Doesn't matter if I use "Installshield MSDE 2000 Object for NT Platforms" or "Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine (MSDE 2000) SP3a".

Works just fine in InstallShield X Pro. As long as the user isn't running Norton Internet Security 2006, which is why we're evaluating the update to IS.

Installation is on Windows XP Pro service pack 2. Installation package is set to run on XP only.

I have an install log (MSDE2klog.txt) but it is > 10MB - anything I search for brings up many hits, and I'm not sure what to look for. Any ideas? I am a applications programmer, not not an InstallSheild wizzard (yet). :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Lou Syracuse
Senior Programmer Analyst,
Merle Norman Cosmetics

sks2004
06-09-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm curious, what are the symptoms exhibited as the result of Norton Internet Security 2006?

sks2004
06-09-2006, 10:01 PM
maybe the msde logfile is appending? I've never seen a 10 meg msde logfile.

LSyracuse
06-12-2006, 10:15 AM
We could not get the MSDE object to install on machines that have Norton Internet Security 2006 from our ISx installation. It would act like it was installing, but after the installation it just wasn't there. Simply disabling it isn't enough - we have to go in and stop the services, then do the install. After that all is well.

So far my experiences with IS 12 are not positive. It seems to run slower when building, it's installations run much slower.. not to mention the fact that I can't get a complete installation of MSDE with DTC. Without that we're dead in the water....

I will make sure to delete the log file and try running the installation again. Hopefully you're right, and that will give me a more managable log to inspect.

Lou

LSyracuse
06-12-2006, 02:41 PM
The plot thickens...

I ran the MSDE installer outside of the Install package (in the ISSetupPrerequisites directory) and guess what.... it still won't install the DTC!

Am I missing something here???

Lou