PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Delete Directory -5044

trevrobwhite
06-09-2006, 04:33 AM
Since upgraded to InstallShield 12, about 25% of the time I get a build error -5044 cannot delete directory <Release>\Version.bak the same happens for my merge modules.

This never happened before IS12 and if I manually navigate to the directory and delete it windows removes it with no problem.

Is anyone else suffering from this?

Mike Marino
06-09-2006, 01:35 PM
Are you building from the IDE, or Command line?

trevrobwhite
06-12-2006, 02:26 AM
I'm building from the IDE on Windows 2003 Server (using Terminal Services), machine is a dual P4 with 2Gigs of RAM and a terrbyte of HD space.

Mike Marino
06-12-2006, 07:47 AM
What project types (excluding Merge Module) are you building? For example: Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI.

Do you have any InstallScript custom actions in your project?

Does this happen on a new project with say 1 file in it?

I am trying to access if this is project related, or project type related.

trevrobwhite
06-12-2006, 08:03 AM
It is a Basic MSI project with loads of files, its really random so I don't know if it happens with 1 file.

There are no InstallScript actions, but there are vbscript actions.

Taytay
06-23-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm getting this error a lot too. I am building an object that is being consumed by another project. It will work fine for a few builds/runs, but then all of a sudden, something locks the output directory of my object. I have to restart BOTH installshield IDEs before I can build again. Has anyone else seen this?

-Taylor

sks2004
06-24-2006, 01:45 PM
If someone or something is within any of the levels of the build directory, this could happen. Look for network-users that are anxiously searching for completed setup builds...or possibly application tasks that are monitoring folders/files. Try disabling the build machine's real-time antivirus tasks. Also make sure you don't have any active Windows Explorer sessions open.

We have had these types of issues...and they were either real-time antivirus...or almost always a network-share-user sitting in one of the build folders, and IS can't delete what it wants to, so it complains...sometimes the complaints don't go away without a reboot (network share issues) or forcelfully booting the network-share-user.

Taytay
06-26-2006, 11:45 AM
This is good advice about processes locking the files/directories. I usually use "Handle" from www.sysinternals.com to figure out who has a lock on a directory, but sometimes it still reports nothing is holding on to that directory...Strange indeed. After doing more experiments with it however, it's obvious that the Installshield IDE that includes my object is locking some of the object's files. This is a shame, as it makes rebuilding the object a HUGE pain (close down the including IDE, rebuild it, open the project back up in a new instance of the IDE, repeat...).

-Taylor

arajesh
11-16-2007, 02:52 AM
Since upgraded to InstallShield 12, about 25% of the time I get a build error -5044 cannot delete directory <Release>\Version.bak the same happens for my merge modules.

This never happened before IS12 and if I manually navigate to the directory and delete it windows removes it with no problem.

i am also having the same problem in my installshield 12 basic MSI projects .
ISDEV : error -5044: Cannot delete directory Interm\MergeModules.
i am getting this problem in clearcase dynamic view only .
did you got the solution for this!!!!!!!

arajesh
11-16-2007, 05:15 AM

I am having the same problem for merge modules ??
can anyone help me out???

Mike Marino
11-16-2007, 10:56 AM
If you build to a non-clear case view directory does it work?

trevrobwhite
11-19-2007, 10:38 AM
i am also having the same problem in my installshield 12 basic MSI projects .
ISDEV : error -5044: Cannot delete directory Interm\MergeModules.
i am getting this problem in clearcase dynamic view only .
did you got the solution for this!!!!!!!

No the problem seemed to go away, although we are on IS2008 now.

a387454
08-21-2008, 11:57 AM
I am having the same problem. we are trying to migrate our build machine to Windows Server 2003 and we keep getting an error:

error -5044: Cannot delete directory ...\Interm\MergeModules

I have found a few items that have worked for others but I can not get them to work for me (change temp directory location, disabling indexing service)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

arsirantala
09-25-2008, 01:38 AM
We are having this same exact error occurring time to time in our nightly builds. Virus scanner we use does not check the directories where the installation package is being generated.

Our nightly build uses the installshield stand alone builder to generate the installation packages of our software and we use installshield 2008 premier.

The exact error in our case is:
ISDEV : error -5044: Cannot delete directory c:\build_c\workdir\projectx_workdir\Installation\projectx_is2008_version\PROJECT_ASSISTANT\Interm\MergeModules

edit: we don't use indexing service and the OS ins windows xp pro sp2.

a387454
09-25-2008, 11:29 AM
We are having this same exact error occurring time to time in our nightly builds. Virus scanner we use does not check the directories where the installation package is being generated.

Our nightly build uses the installshield stand alone builder to generate the installation packages of our software and we use installshield 2008 premier.

The exact error in our case is:
ISDEV : error -5044: Cannot delete directory c:\build_c\workdir\projectx_workdir\Installation\projectx_is2008_version\PROJECT_ASSISTANT\Interm\MergeModules

edit: we don't use indexing service and the OS ins windows xp pro sp2.

I tried everything to fix this on the only way I could was to upgrade to IS 2009. I did not have a support contract so I never opened a ticket with IS.

diamond
11-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I encountered the same problem and for me, the solution was to move the files to another location, as the path to the Interm folder was too long.