PDA

View Full Version : Limit of file size for byte-level differences in patches?

NOEDIC
06-09-2006, 03:10 AM
Hello,

I heared that there is a limit for file size using the byte-level difference to optimize patches. I think there is a limit at 4MB for the file. Is it correct or can I configure this value to 1 MB or anything else.
Wich conditions must be fullfilled to use the byte-level difference in patches?

Thanks
NOEDIC

RobertDickau
06-09-2006, 11:17 AM
I'm not aware of a specific maximum patch size. The Properties table of a patch-creation project has a OptimizePatchSizeForLargeFiles switch (exposed in the Patch Configuration section of the Patch Design view of InstallShield) that optimizes patch size for files larger than 4 MB, so we know at least 4 MB is not a limit...

sks2004
06-09-2006, 06:07 PM
We have a file that is 22 megs, and I have never been able to apply a byte-level difference patch successfully, to this file. Error 1328 always. InstallShield support and Microsoft gave-up and stated the following: the workaround was to always include this file as whole.

Not a fun workaround, because it increases the minor upgrade patch by about 4 megs.

I would love to not include this file as whole.

BTW: this is a 22 meg, unversioned binary file.

looeee
06-13-2006, 06:33 PM
22meg is nothing
I've had good results with files of size 500Mb plus

what happens when you make a new project containing just that one file and patch between the two different versions of it?

looeee

NOEDIC
06-14-2006, 02:03 AM
You wrote:
<<
OptimizePatchSizeForLargeFiles switch (exposed in the Patch Configuration section of the Patch Design view of InstallShield) that optimizes patch size for files larger than 4 MB, so we know at least 4 MB is not a limit...[/QUOTE]
>>
Sorry, I don´t know if I understand correctly. My problem is that we have mostly files wich are smaller then 4 MB, so I´m looking for a possibility to add only the byte-level differences to the patch and not the whole file.

Can you help me again. Thanks

RobertDickau
06-14-2006, 09:11 AM
Assuming you're using an MSI-based project, perhaps see the InstallShield help topic "Packaging Options for Upgrades" to understand MSI patching behavior and other considerations. Naturally, the MSI help library also has overview information about patching.

sks2004
01-14-2007, 11:34 PM
I created a test-install project and forwarded to Macrovision CS. They responded with: "...it's a Microsoft Windows Installer bug, contact Microsoft...". Eventually I did use one of our MSDN incidents, with success. Microsoft responded within days, stating: "This is a known bug, with an unreleased/undocumented fix...". The Windows Installer Patch-build DLL truly did fix the problem.

I would have expected Macrovision to spark-up an MSDN incident to solve this problem... Microsoft tech-CS mentioned Macrovision didn't have an existing MSDN agreement with them, and not to give-out this DLL to Macrovison... of which I found difficult to believe.

Macrovision, do you have an MSDN agreement/contract/active relationship?

sks2004
03-16-2007, 11:27 AM
To solve this original problem the Microsoft file to replace/update is:MsPatchC.dll, version 6.1.22.4

DLee65
04-03-2008, 08:32 AM
To solve this original problem the Microsoft file to replace/update is:MsPatchC.dll, version 6.1.22.4

I too am having problems with patching multiple versions of our application, when trying to apply the patch the setup will error out with 1328.

sks2004 ... did you find that the file you mentioned fixed the problem? I find it extremely disconcerting that Microsoft would acknowledge a problem with the patching system and not provide this fix in newer versions of Windows Installer. Is this what you are implying?