PDA

View Full Version : Can I create patch

navneet
06-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Hi, if I make a installer with just InstallScript and not use "InstallScript/MSI" project can I still make a patch for updating my application. If so how do I do that.

Also can I do the following

Make a installer with InstallScript Project. With the application there is a 200MB data file which is a third party file. This file is updated and provided to us every month or 2. Every version of this file has a different name like dataJan2006.aaa and the next month we would get dataFeb2006.aaa. Now the data between both the files are mostly same with few additions and subtractions. Since the files are soo big I want to create a path that would only take the binary diff of the file and create a small patch to update the target file and rename it.

Is that possible if so how can I do that.

Thanks heaps

MichaelU
06-09-2006, 10:33 AM
InstallScript supports the idea of differential releases (see the help), but my recollection is it works on the file level. So unless you renamed the file such that it was always the same in your package, I don't think it could work. I believe MSI patches also function at file level for binary differencing, so it wouldn't be any better of an alternative for this need.

thaejas
07-26-2006, 07:49 AM
am new to Installshield 12 .....Can a patch have SQL script ?.

TheTraveler
07-28-2006, 03:03 PM
To answer your question, it depends on your project type. In the past, using MSI projects to patch the database via SQL statements are difficult. It depends on how you do it. When using an Install Shield script project and making a differential patch, it is really simple. In the differential patch, there are before and after events that allow you to write customize code to update your database. So in the before update event, you can stop services or programs from accessing your database. Copy your new files in. Then in the after update event, run your SQL updates and restart your applications.