PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help

navneet
06-08-2006, 02:22 AM
Hi

I got installshield just few days back. I couldnt figure out how to do a few things.

Our application needs few third party softwares. We only have a installers for them, there is no merge module or IS object, some on them are install shield installers.

If I create a InstallScipt MSI project then I can add them to the prerequisite by creating a prerequisite (prp) file for them. But I do not want to use InstallScript MSI project instead I want to use the InstallScript project. I couldnt find a way to do this.

Another thing that I couldnt do was 1 of the third party component need an enviornment variable to a path to the file. The problem is that it takes the path in only "/" (forward slash) and if i use [INSTALLDIR]/path it will take it as backslash ("\") for the path in installdir. Therefor I tried to use a custom action and tried to use textsubstitution but did not work

Sprintf(svResult,"%s",INSTALLDIR);
szFind = "\\";
szReplace = "/";
nStart = 0;
StrReplace ( svResult, szFind, szReplace, nStart );
TextSubSetValue("<MYPATH>",svResult,TRUE);

and used <MYPATH>/path_to_file but that did not replace MYPATH.

Thanks

MotoJason
06-08-2006, 01:59 PM
In InstallScript you can use the LaunchAppAndWait function to spawn off the other installers.

For the string substitution, I am not so familiar with this, but can you just pass svResult into the environment varibale instead of trying the TextSubSetValue?

Also, StrReplace returns an integer that is the number of substitutions it did. it might be usefull to set
intVal = StrReplace ( svResult, szFind, szReplace, nStart );
and see if it actually replaced anything. Or in debug mode, simply look at the value of svResult and see if it did what you expected.

navneet
06-09-2006, 12:39 AM
Thanks that was helpful