PDA

View Full Version : Merge Module Path Request

sjimmerson
06-07-2006, 06:29 PM
Please add the ability to specify merge module paths at the feature level instead of just the application level. This has been a pain in my side for quite some time. I guess I was just hoping that it would change some day but it has been this way for years.

When I have two projects that use different versions of the same merge modules, I have to change the order of the merge module paths in Tools|Options when I switch projects which is a royal pain and very prone to error. Luckily we can at least specify specific merge module paths for the stand alone build, but that doesn't help when we are developing/maintaining more than one project at a time on our development systems.

I liken this to the ability in Visual Studio to be able to specify include paths at the application level or the project level. When compiling an application, the compiler looks for the include files specified in the project settings first and then looks in the application settings.

This one feature alone would make my installation development a more pleasent experience and those that like things they way they are would not be affected as long as they do not add merge module paths at the project level.

Thanks,
Shane

Christopher Painter
06-07-2006, 06:41 PM
I do this with a batch file that applies a .REG file before opening the ISM. Take a look in HKCU\SOFTWARE\InstallShield\12.0\Professional\IDE\Project Settings\MMSearchPath

sjimmerson
06-07-2006, 07:02 PM
So, you've created a batch file for each installation project that sets the merge module paths for the corresponding installation project?

That sounds like a good work around--I'll have to give that a try.

It sounds like you would like to be able to specify the merge module paths at the project level as well?

Would anyone else like this capability?

Christopher Painter
06-07-2006, 07:22 PM
Basically though it's a little more involved then what I said ( It's not really a bat and reg file ).

I have a script that stages my development environment to mirror what our build environment looks like. It creates a clearcase snapshot view and then copies all of our build files into place and fires off a stand alone build. The -o argument that it passes to the stand alone it also writes to the registry. This way when my project compiles cleanly ( something I always validate before making additional changes to the source ) I can click on the ISM file and have my IDE configured to use the same environment that my SABLD is.

I suppose it would simplify the plumbing that I've done to accomplish this by having th MMPath be a project setting, but if I did it would have to be tied into the ISPath table so that I could make it relative pathed for when I load my snapshot view to different places.

sjimmerson
06-07-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the info.

Ideally you would be able to utilize the ISPath table for relative pathing or use absolute paths. For us, at least at this point, absolute paths would be fine, but I can definately understand why you might want to use relative paths.

BTW - Great blog! I've got it bookmarked. One of these days I will start using RSS to keep up with all of them a little better.