PDA

View Full Version : How to extract dotnetfx from setup.exe?

pozixx
05-31-2006, 07:25 AM
My application requires .NET Framework, so I included dotnetfx.exe into installation (Build your release -> .NET Framework Location -> Extract From Setup.exe). This works properly - .NET is installed when it is not present on target machine. But I want also copy the original redsitributable "dotnetfx.exe" into installation directory of my application (my application need this redistributable package "as it is"). Is there possibility to extract dotnetfx.exe during installation using custom action or something else? I don't want to add dotnetfx.exe into Files of my setup because then it will be twice in installation (in setup.exe and in nested MSI file - 2x 20 MB).

dcrutchley
06-01-2006, 03:43 PM
If you want to have a copy of dotnetfx.exe change Extract From Setup.exe to Copy from Media Source.

pozixx
06-09-2006, 07:55 AM
This is not what I want. I want to extract dotnetfx.exe from setup.exe to specified directory during installation.

dcrutchley
06-09-2006, 10:17 AM
Yes, I understand that you want to extract dotnetfx.exe to a specified directory, but I don't understand why you want it in setup.exe instead of another file on your setup CD. It can't make your setup that much bigger, because dotnetfx.exe as already a binary file. If you create your setup using Copy from Media Source, then you could us a custom action to copy it to any directory you wanted.

Krisiacik
06-11-2006, 03:54 AM
Yes, I understand that you want to extract dotnetfx.exe to a specified directory, but I don't understand why you want it in setup.exe instead of another file on your setup CD. It can't make your setup that much bigger, because dotnetfx.exe as already a binary file. If you create your setup using Copy from Media Source, then you could us a custom action to copy it to any directory you wanted.

Hi I am pozixx coleague..
Reasons why we need it like that are >>>>
1)There is no such thing as Setup CD and probably never will be.
2) We only will have a web package.. a single downloadable exe file.
3) Why add something twice into the installtion and force the user to download another 20 MB more.not nice to him.
4) We dont want an "installer mayhem" = Installer unpacking itself running some another installer unpacking itself running some another isntaller.
It should by visually smooth as it is now.

Therefore the only solution to that would be some method for isntallshield wizard to extract a part of its own content to somewhere.

And why we need a separate copy of dotnetfx.exe besides its actual installation? It is simply a part of our application solution. :)

dcrutchley
06-11-2006, 08:58 AM
Well, I see your problem now, but I have now solution for it.

GerardOBrien
07-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Did you come up with a solution? I'd like to do the same thing.
Incidentally, no need to write a custom action to do the actual copying - just use the movefiles table.