PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Folder_<FolderName> and AllOtherFiles components

looeee
05-26-2006, 05:29 AM
When you add a bunch of files to InstallShield it sensibly makes separate components and keyfiles for files of type EXE, DLL, OCX, TLB, etc. Files of any other type get dumped in a component called AllOtherFiles.

Similarly when repackaging, it makes a component called Folder_<FolderName> for these undefined files.

It is then the role of the package developer to sort out these files, making decisions based on their package knowledge as to which ones need splitting up into separate components.

This can be a very time consuming task, making components, assigning them to the relevant features, moving the files over and setting keypaths.

I would love to be able to select a bunch of files, right-click on them and for them to be made into separate components.

Hacky screenshot attached

looeee

MichaelU
05-26-2006, 10:09 AM
Ooh, that sounds like an MSI Installation Refactorer. I like that idea. As you imagine it, would it duplicate all other settings from the current component, moving the selected files away into the newly created component? Would it also be useful to have something that did the reverse, allowing you to regroup files that had been separated across components?

bryanwolf
05-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Actually, buliding on that, it would be cool if you could also set your own "file componentization rules" so that it would create new components for other custom file types as well (such as if you wanted a component for each .hlp or .swf).

This might help out people making huge Web Installations. :)

looeee
05-26-2006, 11:31 AM
Bryan
You can actually do this already through a (undocumented) registry key.

Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what it is atm, but you might find it by searching the forums or knowledgebase.

If you can't find it then I'll dig it out for you

looeee