PDA

View Full Version : How many features?

seanhamilton
05-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know offhand what the upper limit of the number of components/features is?

I have several componants that use the same files, but can have multiple configurations and instances on the same box. MSI doesn't allow multiple instances to be installed, so I'm seeking to have all possibilities located inside the install itself. So I could have Prgram1, Prgram2, Prgram3, all installed from the same source files into their own unique directories.

Problem is I have 600 possibilities for 13 different programs that need to be installed.

Anybody know if installshield will choke on this or not?

Additionally, it would be nice if there was a way to create these features on the fly somehow.

Hamilton-Scott
05-24-2006, 02:40 AM
Sean,

You can create the entire project using the automation objects. I've used this to good effect to create additional components I need at build time. You'd have to play safe and use VB6 to do it. You could use C# but I find the name decoration, COM wrappers, and loss of Intellisense quite frustrating.

You could revert to using an XML format for your project. I've had some success editing the XML directly but if you get it wrong your project is snafu'ed.

Edit: I forgot to mention that we've heard of some people packaging 3000 files and more. I don't recall there was an issue with that.

Zweitze
05-24-2006, 02:29 PM
I once created a project with 200 components and did not experience any problem. Well... when all features are visible, the FeatureTree gets less and less user friendly.
One well documented limitation is the 32000 files limit. For that problem a workaround exists, involving a schema change in the Windows Installer database.