PDA

View Full Version : Force scroll to bottom of license dialog

nnjcsc
05-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Please add the functionality in a license dialog, to force the user to scroll to bottom of license agreement text, before the NEXT button is enabled. The user cannot continue the installation until they have scrolled to the bottom of the license agreement text.

You could add another parm at the end of the function like bScroll, where if set to true, they have to scroll to the bottom, or if set to false, they don't have to scroll to the bottom of the license text.

SdLicense ( szTitle, szMsg, szQuestion, szLicenseFile, bScroll );

More users are asking for this and to code it is allot of trouble. It would be nice to have it in a built in function.

DebbieL
05-24-2006, 08:22 AM
We have this logged as work order 1-40XDR, and we'll consider it for the next release. Thank you for suggesting this.

Sincerely,
Debbie Landers
Macrovision Corporation

Stefan Krueger
05-26-2006, 05:23 AM
In the mean time you could look at the sample "Check if License Text was Completely Viewed" at http://www.installsite.org/pages/en/msi/ca.htm

nnjcsc
05-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Stefan,

Thanks for the info. We have it working now, but it was time consuming to code to scroll to the bottom before activating the next button. But this functionality seems to be requested often enough by users that it should be incorporated into the license dialogs.

Nelson

Christopher Painter
05-26-2006, 09:07 AM
Personally I think its a bad requirement. We all know one really reads license agreements so making them scroll to the bottom of the text doesn't prove anything more then making them click the Agree button. It just interrupts the UI flow of clicking Next Next Next that users love to do.

However if you must implement it, InstallSite has a very simple C++ file that compiles into a Type1 DLL. You insert it as a custom action and condition the next button of the dialog on it.

It would be really easy to implement this as a merge module like RequireLicenseScroll.msm and simply include it as a dependency for any project that requires it.

nnjcsc
05-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Yes, I know no one reads them. I know users will just scroll to the bottom quickly and not read a word of it. I never read them and don't know anyone who does. But the problem is convincing management of that. If it's there, management is happy.