PDA

View Full Version : No mapped drives shown on Windows Vista

manikm
05-22-2006, 09:59 AM
Hi there,

Is there a problem with products using INSTALLSHIELD as the installer, and Windows Vista?

I ask, as we use a few applications which use INSTALLSHIELD - and on Vista machines mapped drives do not show up when browsing for an install location.

Winzip 10 for example - when you click setup.exe, and it defaults to c:\program files\winzip - when you click "browse" - only local drives show up, but not mapped network drives.

Is this a known bug!?

Many thanks for your thoughts and time.

mibrahim8
10-10-2006, 09:42 AM
We have exactly the same problem. No network drives are shown in the dropdown box. Please refer to the attached screenshot.

Does anyone know a reason for this problem? Is this a known problem or is there a work around to fix this problem?

Please any thoughts or ideas will help. Just give us your thoughts and it might really help. If everyone can give us any ideas or tell us if it work on their machine, please let us know.

Thanks a lot.

Ramose
10-14-2006, 04:58 PM
Running an install from a mapped network drive on vista I noticed that srcdir is UNC path instead of the mapped path

Christopher Painter
10-14-2006, 09:44 PM
First, WinZip 10.0 doesn't use InstallShield. Perhaps your in an enterprise environment where someone repackaged it?

I'm testing on Vista RC2 and InstallShield 12 InstallScript and MSI project types seem to work just fine. Since all the plumbing for Basic MSI projects are provided by MSI 4.0, I can't imaging previous versions of InstallShield having any problems. I could see that InstallScript / InstallScript MSI projects could have a problem but I don't have it or any packages built by it to test.

clockonAnf
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM
First, WinZip 10.0 doesn't use InstallShield. Perhaps your in an enterprise environment where someone repackaged it?

I'm testing on Vista RC2 and InstallShield 12 InstallScript and MSI project types seem to work just fine. Since all the plumbing for Basic MSI projects are provided by MSI 4.0, I can't imaging previous versions of InstallShield having any problems. I could see that InstallScript / InstallScript MSI projects could have a problem but I don't have it or any packages built by it to test.

i think he was referring to the winzip as an example of another installer not showing the mapped/network drives, i have the same issue, so it could be a vista security issue, you saying that it works for you doesnt really help this post...

Ramose
03-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Hi I opened an incident with installshield on this issue and here is the final response.

Thank you for the sample, I have finally have been able to reproduce the behavior. I believe you will be able to produce Mapped Drive locations when you create a single compressed .exe (you can set this in the Release Wizard) for your installs rather then the CD-ROM installs. For the CD-ROM releases, I have submitted a work order for our developers to investigate further. The number is: IOC-000055606. If you have any further questions or concerns please let me know. Have a great day and a safe holiday. Chanh

and status is Enhancement

clockonAnf
03-08-2007, 07:04 PM
Hey,

unfortunately thats what im using the compressed .exe (web release) build and it gives the same issue, if i type in the UNC its fine, but a bit of a work around for end users, will keep looking around on this one...

Paul Boerefijn
03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Any news on this issue?
Any workaround available?

Having exactly the same problem. Turning off Windows Vista's UAC solves the problem, but i can't ask my customers to do that.

It's not only a problem in the browsescreens, functions like GetValidDrivesList ( listID , REMOTE_DRIVE , -1 ) also returns zero valid networkdrives.

MichaelU
03-21-2007, 08:29 AM
Since I don't see this clearly stated above, here's my understanding of what the issue is. Running on Vista there are two contexts: the limited user context, and the administrator context. Unfortunately, when you map drives, they are added only for the limited user context. Thus when the installer runs in the administrative context, there are no mapped drives seen.

Theoretically you could work around this by running an administrative command prompt and issuing several net map commands, or an elevated explorer and mapping your drives under the administrator context. In short, running either elevated should allow you to see the lack of drives is not specific to the installer, but specifict to the administrative context.

I do not believe a workaround is possible from the installer.

Paul Boerefijn
03-21-2007, 09:04 AM
You're right Michael, i was just testing in an simple CMD.exe session started in the adminstrative context, it also doesn't show my networkmappings.

So this looks-like an Vista/UAC behavior.

Maybe anyone else knows an tric to move the netwerkmapings to the administrative context?

Ramose
05-03-2007, 01:52 PM
this using this registry entry install was able to see the mapped drives required a reboot http://www.windowsconnected.com/forums/thread/7315.aspx