PDA

View Full Version : Windows installer "re-configures" application over and over again ...

mindone
05-19-2006, 05:40 AM
Hi,

I have created a Setup for a Visual Basic application.
When the setup is installed on a system and the application is started windows installer starts to configure the application (I don't know what the installer is exactly doing but he is doing something). Then around 30-50 times (can take some minutes) the same dialogbox over and over again appears with the little progress bar on it. After some minutes the application starts.
I use Installshield 11 Express Edition.

Did anyone encounter a similiar problem before?

I have removed the windows system file shdocvw.dll before because I thought it is the reason for the problem because its a windows system file. That didn't solve the problem.

I use the following merge modules:
MS Chart Control
MS COmmon Dialog
MDAC 2.7
MS data Formatting Object Lib
MS Flexgrid
MS H. Flexgrid
MS Masked Edit
MS Tabbed Dialog
MS COmmon Controls
MS COmmon Controls 2
MS COmmon Controls 3

Additionally I copy some OCX/DLL files.

Thanks for any help in advance!

bhagelin
05-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Is this behavior shown on one machine, or on every machine you've tried it on? Do you use clean, formatted drives for testing?

In other words, are you sure the problem is with your setup program and not your PC?

mindone
05-22-2006, 08:48 AM
this behaviour appears on every machine.

the funny thing is that when I install the Update.exe also created with Installshield which only replaces the main .exe file the configuration dialogs don't appear anymore.

I don't test on clean machines yet. But I think this is not the reason.

What might be also interesting: The setup was created with Express 5 and now converted to 11. So the setup did already work before....

bhagelin
05-23-2006, 12:52 PM
the funny thing is that when I install the Update.exe also created with Installshield which only replaces the main .exe file the configuration dialogs don't appear anymore.

Then this may be the source of your problem. Unfortunately though I'm having a hard time understanding what you're saying there.

mindone
05-24-2006, 03:18 AM
hi, is my english that bad??? :-D

i solved the problem by creating a complete new setup.

thanks for the help though...