PDA

View Full Version : Repair function on Support Info tab broken

rrother
05-16-2006, 06:42 PM
I have attached a basic msi that compiles to a single executable "setup.exe. It only installs one file. After installing I go the the Add/Remove Programs dialog, click on the link "Click here for support information' and then click the "Repair" button.

I get a message that "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is not available." The "Use Source" field is defaulting to the following location for the file file "My Test Web Cache.msi":

C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\{D171E5CD-4664-442F-8D17-F3F7CEBD98A2}\

The initial install had deleted this temp folder when finished. There is no "My Test Web Cache.msi" anywhere on my system.

Also, the install never created a "Windows\Downloaded Installations" folder.

MichaelU
05-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Regarding your last point, does the release have the "Cache installation on local machine" / "Cache Web Download"+"Cache Path" option set? If not, then all this behavior makes perfect sense. If this is set and not doing it, that would be a problem.

rrother
05-17-2006, 09:58 AM
"Cache Web Download" is set to "yes" and the "Cache Path" is set to "[WindowsFolder]Downloaded Installations".

rrother
05-18-2006, 11:26 AM
I believe this is a serious problem! Once installed, the user is unable to repair or change the installation from the Add/Remove Programs dialog.

I found the problem after loading and converting our main product's installation (from Developer 8). The problem only exists after converting to version 12.

Once clicking "repair", the system is looking for the deleted msi in the temp folder. The original install is an EXE and is not usable. The user has nowhere to go.

The simple install I attached demonstates the problem.

MichaelU
05-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Thanks for reporting this. I've had time to look into this further, and it is accidental breakage due to a change we made in the IS12 development cycle. I agree it is a significant problem. I've submitted work order IOC-000050576 so we can fix it ASAP.