PDA

View Full Version : Timeline for InstallShield 12 Beta

Qingsong
05-10-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi,

Sorry for being late in this beta program. In the Welcome mail, it mentioned that "The InstallSheld 12 beta will expire at the end of May 2006).

Chris mentiond in previous communication that Release Date and Upgrade program have not been scheduled yet, or at least not published yet.

I really need some features from 1S 12, especially the InstallScript engine becoming a dll. Let me tell you, a lot of white hairs are coming from this engine.

Could you please give us a general plan, so that I can evaluate if I need to continue to develop my own code for some functions which will be available in IS 12?

Thanks,

Qingsong

ChrisPage
05-15-2006, 09:41 AM
It is against our company policy for me to disclose our release date before we actually release our software.

I have sent you a private e-mail with more information on this subject.

Regards,
Chris

Kallex
05-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Hi!

We are in Windows Vista Touchdown program and are going to schedule the Vista installer building. If you could send the same information on my email as well would be greatly appreciated!

Kalle Launiala, Consultant & CEO
ProtonIT - www.protonit.net

looeee
05-16-2006, 09:29 AM
This has so far been the best beta program that InstallShield have ever run.

All other beta programs have been a token gesture that have achieved very little but this time I have seen real progress.

Years ago I was so sick of the shoddy quality of the products that I joined the company hoping that would make a difference. It made no difference.

With this beta program you have nailed some of the bugs that been present since the first betas of ISWI. I hope that this beta program runs and runs so together we can make InstallShield better

Thank you so much for listening to me

looeee

P.S. now all you need to do is a complete ground-up redesign of the entire product and then I really will be happy

MartinMarkevics
05-16-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks. That's good to hear.

I'm not sure about the ground-up redesign :) , but we will certainly continue to take your input in determining how best to improve the product.

bobcorrigan
05-19-2006, 10:06 AM
This has so far been the best beta program that InstallShield have ever run.

All other beta programs have been a token gesture that have achieved very little but this time I have seen real progress.

Years ago I was so sick of the shoddy quality of the products that I joined the company hoping that would make a difference. It made no difference.

With this beta program you have nailed some of the bugs that been present since the first betas of ISWI.

This is the best thing I've read all day. We've invested hard in quality, but we're not allowed to say "we've improved quality". This is something you guys have to say.

bob

Christopher Painter
05-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Bob,

While I will say this has been a good beta, I would offer one very serious piece of constructive criticism. MichaelU said this awhile back:

So you know what to expect, we're most concerned with (and more able to address in a reasonable time frame) the first two: unintended behavior breakage since the previous release, and problems in new features. Longer standing issues are more likely to be pushed into an earlier part of a later release cycle.

I can't fault MichaeU, in fact I thank him for being blunt and honest. That said, one of the biggest complaints I see from the community is "why is some bug still not fixed after 4-5 releases.". I understand InshallShield has to sell each release and new features is what sells. However, at some point there also has to be a committment to properly support the features that were previously sold instead of just prioritizing them down and pushing them back to yet another future release.

I will give InstallShield credit for doing this right with the InstallScript refactoring. But there really are quite a few 'minor' little bugs with InstallShield that leave a sour taste in developers mouth because of the fact that they have been bugs for a very long time. This leaves a negative impression of customer devotion and QA when the reality is InstallShield actually has fairly good QA.

bobcorrigan
05-19-2006, 10:38 AM
Hey Chris,

We've been prioritizing our dev work based on customer-facing bugs first - help us to help you by letting us know which bugs are the most urgent.

Thanks,

bob

Christopher Painter
05-19-2006, 10:45 AM
I was speaking more from a community perspective then a personal perspective. Unfortunatly where I work is still currently on IS9. I was up to 11.5 at my last job.

That said I have finally overcomed resistance from another developer who didn't want to ugprade and management has approved an upgrade to 12 when it is shipped. The InstallScript refactoring is what allowed me to finally convince them to do this.

Once I'm on 12 and I'm using it full time I promise to come back and make a very thorough list of bugs that I recogonize as impacting my work and having existed for a very long time.

Thanks,
Chris