PDA

View Full Version : New IS 11.5 Express question

flashpipe
05-05-2006, 07:46 AM
I'm a brand newbie with InstallShield Express 11.5 and have a few questions. I've spent some time reading through the software, help files, forums and have created some test installers.

Basically, I'm trying to create an installer (or installers) to allow users to load a group of files as a student (no 'Data' folder in install, but needs to point to 'Data' folder location on network), an instructor or stand-alone (the last two are basically the same for now, and both simply include the 'Data' folder).

I'm not sure if I can set up three different "Features," use "Always Install" for the student version and add an "Instructor" and "Stand-alone" Feature to install the 'data' folder...or should I set up two sub-features for the "Instructor" and "Stand-alone?" Or do these need to be three separate installers?

Also, can I let the user specify the location for the "data" folder on the network if they select the "Student" option?? And then can I write that folder location to a Registry key?

Sorry if these are very basic questions, but this is my first time using IS... :)

Thanks!!

carsten
05-22-2006, 06:19 AM
Hi,

Here is what I would do:

Make 3 setup types Student, Instructor, and Stand-alone.
Make 4 features; one with all the common files, and one for each setup.
Select to display the Database dialog, to select the database path.
For Instructor and Stand-alone install file in the Data folder
For Student install no files in the Data folder
For all installations write the path to the Data folder to the registry using something like [DatabaseFolder..]

-cpede