PDA

View Full Version : ARP list.

Hamilton-Scott
05-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Our packages are standard MSI and nothing I've added to them or edited tells the OS to hide the package from the ARP list. So, we gave the packages over to the contract company that builds and preloads the servers we use. Our packages are installed by their team but when I look on the server, our packages are not listed in the ARP list.

If I install the same packages on our machines which we set up, they do appear in the ARP list. I need to get an answer to this as we will later be doing upgrades to the servers and I need to uninstall the packages before the upgrade and upto now I've had to 'uninstall' by doing a registry hack.

So, my package installed by me shows in ARP. My package installed by them does not.

Can someone explain what is going on? :confused:

Edit: I did a little research. It seems you can set the ARPSYSTEMCOMPONENT property and that creates a SystemComponent item in the registry. I don't set either, but maybe they do so by setting the property using msiexec? I also experimented by setting SystemComponent myself in the registry and it's presence (it seems the value is irrelevant?) hides the item in the ARP list.

I'll check that tomorrow and delete the SystemComponent registry value if there is one. By the way, we do have full admin rights to the server so we should be equal in status to them.

SGorman
05-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Is your install an 'all users' install? If not, then they might be installing on the server under one user account, but then you could be viewing ARP under a different user account. just a thought...

Hamilton-Scott
05-06-2006, 01:21 AM
Thanks for that. I'll look into it. I know they create the account we login to just before they hand-off the server to us for final checks. Maybe they do install using a different name. If they do install as A and we as B can't see the products in ARP, is there something I can look at and do to force them to be visible? Some kind of override, registry hack?