PDA

View Full Version : Using localized paths

ethorne
04-27-2006, 10:41 AM
We are translating some folder names in our installation directory into several different languages. Among them are French, German, Korean, and Simpified Chinese. If I set that directory structure up and then try to add folders from a folder with multi-byte characters in the path, then the files shows up as 0 bytes and the path has question marks in it.

How can I get these to show up and link to the file properly?

Thanks,
Ellen

ethorne
05-04-2006, 12:35 PM
OK, I am not adding files to components using Korean, Japanese or Simplified Chinese characters anymore. However.....

I do need to install folders on the target machine in Korean, Japanese and Simplified Chinese. I cannot get localized text into the Directory table at all. I have tried using the component view and the Direct Editor. Neither shows anything but question marks.

If I open a built project in Orca, I can add localized characters there. I also found in the Windows Installer documentation about the Directory table that localized characters are acceptable. What do I have to do for InstallShield to accept them?

Thank you,
Ellen

MichaelU
05-04-2006, 03:09 PM
You might try the option to use short filenames. The InstallShield IDE and runtime currently both execute in ANSI mode, which means they can only handle one code page worth of characters at a time - generally the one set up in the Regional and Language Options control panel. However if the short path is English ANSI friendly, then maybe InstallShield can correctly use that even if the long filename isn't. (I've proposed this elsewhere, but haven't yet found out if short filenames are always English ANSI safe.)

Of course if you need to install Japanese, Korean and Chinese files simultaneously (as opposed to just one language on each matching computer), you may be out of luck either way; Windows Installer uses an ANSI storage.

ethorne
05-08-2006, 01:35 PM
OK. Are all of the tables treated that way? Can you store or set property values in Japanese text during and English installation? Such as, if we have a customer who is on a Japanese operating system with English regional settings and is running the English installation, can he enter a customer name in Japanese?

Thanks,
Ellen

ethorne
08-29-2006, 09:23 AM
I have solved several problems, but am seeing some new. Here is the way we are setup:

We have a single project that builds each language of our product as different releases. The four languages we are contending with right now are English, French, German and Simplified Chinese. We have localized folder and file names for language-specific directories that are selected by filtering using the language settings in the components. To resolve issues seen with unresolved characters, those file and folder names are entered into the project with the development machine's settings all set to match the language of the install - particularly the non-Unicode language. Then, when we build the installs for use, we reboot the build machine into the appropriate language, setting the non-Unicode language to match the language being built and then build the installation.

To date, the French and German installs have worked marvelously. They installed with the proper characters in the file/folder names and the dialogs. Recently, we added Simplified Chinese (PRC) to both machines and suddenly anywhere we would see a cedilla, accent, umlaut or other character punctuation mark in French and German we now see a Chinese character in both the file/folder names and the dialogs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the characters to resolve properly?

Also, we seem to need the ANSI code page for Chinese installed on the target machine for the Chinese installation to work correctly - that appeared to be expected behavior for Chinese, Korean and Japanese. Is that correct? If so, is it correct that the 1252 (Westerncode page should accept English, French, German and Spanish?

Thanks,
Ellen

JetPlate
08-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Good to see someone is getting some sort of support for this application. :)

I am trying to get an application to auto install into the startup items while the package installs, I know there are scripts from the older versions but with IS 11 these scripts do not seem to work the same way.

The application .exe files are being copied to the program files / common files folder.

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\Global Graphics Software\Harlequin License Server\bin\hqn_lsd.exe"

this is the program line I am trying to run during the install. any idea how I can do this?

As of now I run the installer, go to Run, then type this string along with
" -install" to install the application into the startup items.

I would like for this to be an automated process during the MSI project installation.

Any help would be appreciated.

ethorne
08-29-2006, 11:30 AM
JetPlate,

I don't think I understand what you are doing. Are you running a custom action? If so, what kind?

Is this a Basic MSI project? That is the type I use and am familiar with. It looks like a custom action to launch an executable from a file installed with your program would work. You can specify the "-installs" in the Custom Action Wizard - the help should tell you where and how. There is a whole section about the wizard that will walk you step by step with the options in each screen.

If that doesn't answer your question, let me know more about what you are doing and I will try to help. I always have pretty good luck with getting answers here, so you should find it pretty helpful.

JetPlate
08-29-2006, 04:22 PM
I am trying to load an executable file to install in the startup items. The "-install" command line if inserted after a run command is used will insert this executable file into the startup items. I am trying to get the MSI project to execute this command line automatically so it installs this app at the end of the installer project.

The steps would be as follows;

1) Go to start then run.
2) Browse to your application you wish installed into the startup ini file.
3) choose the application then click ok.
4) Now back at the run prompt insert [space]-install after the last set of guote marks.
5) Click run.
6) This would in fact load an application into your startup ini file.

So with this, I need to get IS11 to run this automatically through some scripting.

Hope this helps, you can try this on your own computer, just dont hit the run at the end else it will load into the startup file. The application i am trying to load needs to run at startup like a service does.

Thanks!