PDA

View Full Version : Update Manager fails

Shuttledude
04-17-2006, 03:47 PM
I have seen the Update Manager fail on multiple occasions. Soon after I installed the Beta (the first beta, not the latest one) I noticed there was a "test" download available. So I tried to download and install it, but an error occurred. I wanted to see this fail again before reporting it. Well today the Update Manager automatically found another update, so I tried to download and install it. I got the same error message, which states: "The required version of InstallShield was not detected. Setup will exit."

When I click OK to close the error dialog, another dialog appears stating:
"InstallShield Update Manager has successfully downloaded and installed ...".

It appears that it is an installation error not a download error because I tried once again to download and install the "test" update ... it said I had already downloaded it, asking if I would like to download it again before installing. I said "no", the install process started, and once again I saw the error message described above. Finally I tried once more to download and install the test message, this time choosing to re-download it completely, but the result was the same.

The operating system is Windows XP with Service Pack 2 if that makes any difference.

MartinMarkevics
04-17-2006, 05:19 PM
This is just a test message used for some internal testing. We are going to remove it, but thanks for pointing that out.

Chandima
04-17-2006, 05:21 PM
I apologize for that message. I created it for internal testing but forgot to disable it before releasing the BETA. The update was pointing at an invalid and had no conditions set on it.

I just disabled it, so it should stop bothering you now :D. Sorry again.

Shuttledude
04-18-2006, 09:38 AM
OK, no problem -- but anyway I found out some more information which might actually be of use to you. The real reason for the error is that the update itself is apparently targeted specifically for German editions, and I'm using the English edition. So, it seems to be just a language-specific issue. :)